Leading and guiding more than 200 community colleges in 34 states, Achieving the Dream (ATD) addresses the national imperative to provide increased opportunities for access to and success at community colleges around the nation, particularly for low income students, students of color, and students with barriers to social and economic mobility. Achieving the Dream institutions work to make the difficult institutional changes necessary to improve student success, meet the nation’s skilled workforce needs, and strengthen the middle class. Achieving the Dream is the largest community college reform network in the country, helping more than 4 million community college students have a better economic opportunity and achieve their dreams.
ATD seeks a Vice President of Strategic Partnerships and Communications who is deeply committed to fueling the organization’s ability to close the achievement gap for low/moderate income students and people of color, an imperative for advancing a strong democracy and workforce. In this dynamic role, you will be responsible for building internal momentum and developing ATD’s plan for financial sustainability. Externally, you will develop partnerships with nonprofits and funders whose missions align with our work. This is a unique opportunity to participate in shaping the future direction of our nation’s community colleges and improved outcomes for their students.
A member of the CEO’s Leadership Team, the VP works closely with the CEO, the Board, the leadership team and other key staff. S/he is responsible for the development and stewardship of strategic partnerships and for raising ATD’s visibility through the execution of a fully integrated marketing, media and communications strategy. The VP is also accountable for meeting ambitious fundraising goals through securing foundation, corporate and government support as steps toward achieving financial sustainability and will lead a team consisting of a Development Officer, a Director of Communications and Media Relations, and a digital content specialist.
- Provide overall leadership to the development and implementation of ATD’s strategy for strategic partnerships, fund development, marketing, and communications initiatives
- In partnership with the CEO’s Leadership Team, develop criteria to define key strategic partnerships (nonprofit and funder) to advance ATD in alignment with our strategic plan and implement a plan to secure partnerships that support continued financial stability
- Create comprehensive fundraising strategy and lead the team to execute against ambitious goals, including identifying, cultivating and soliciting funding from impact investors, foundations, corporations and government sources
- Develop and implement a stewardship plan to maintain and strengthen key long-term relationships with all impact investors and stakeholders
- Provide regular reports and updates on strategy and progress in meeting partnership and funding goals to the Board of Directors; serve as primary liaison to the Board of Directors’ Development Committee
- Create a membership/sponsorship program and implement a plan to secure these funds
- Oversee the development of a comprehensive communications and branding strategy to effectively engage investors, nonprofit partners, network community colleges, and higher education stakeholders in the organization’s work, with a focus on increasing visibility, effective recruitment and retention of member colleges, and dissemination of learnings and research
- Actively participate in external speaking events including engagements at industry gatherings where target investors are present. Use these opportunities to deepen relationships with current investors and to advance strategies and secure potential investors.