The Assistant Dean of Students for Student Governance and Programs provides vision, leadership, and oversight for the University of Arizona’s student governing bodies, the Associated Students of the University of Arizona (ASUA) and the Graduate and Professional Students Council (GPSC). As the primary advisor for ASUA and GPSC, the Assistant Dean of Students works with student governance leaders and members of the campus community to develop and administer various programs that meet the needs of undergraduate and graduate and professional students, including elections, club recognition, and travel, research and project grants and large scale events such as Spring Fling and Family Weekend.
The Assistant Dean of Students recruits, hires, supervises and provides development for multiple full time staff, with a strong emphasis on collaboration with colleagues, institutional advocacy regarding student issues, budget development and management, and is actively engaged in fund development and alumni relations activities. The successful candidate brings an understanding and experience managing the delicate balance of student leadership in tandem with institutional policy and the unique differences between advising and supervising.
As a member of the Dean of Students Office Leadership Team, the Assistant Dean of Students proactively works in tandem with the Assistant Vice President, Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and Dean of Students to anticipate the needs of students. The individual serves as on-call crisis response, in rotation with other members of the Dean of Students Office leadership team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Educates and advises students on University and departmental policies and procedures, legal issues, and risk management, and program-planning logistics, such as contracting between UA and private corporations, event coordinators, marketing and contracts.
- Assists in the visioning and strategic planning for student involvement and leadership on the UA campus.
- Supervises, directs, evaluates and motivates student governance professional personnel with four direct reports and oversight of eleven full time positions, including implementation and evaluation of programs, services, governance and day-to-day office management, and creates and supports professional development opportunities for staff, including professional association involvement, participation in training programs, staff meetings, and one on one staff development and coaching.
- Serves as the Student Governance staff representative on key university committees.
- Oversees club and organization recognition, policy development and oversight, and the Standards Board.
Budget and Fund Development
- Creates and manages budgets of programmatic areas and coordinates the management of a complex series of zero-based and revenue generating budgets totaling $1.2 million. Presents annual budget to the Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and Academic Initiatives and Student Success (SAEM/AISS) Finance Team.
- Administers and monitors budget constituted from local, state and foundation sources in cooperation with the ASUA and GPSC Presidents, Treasurers and the Business Manager in accordance with university policy.
- Coordinates ASUA and GPSC alumni relations and fund development efforts in partnership with the SAEM/AISS Director of Development and UA Foundation. Develops alternative sources of funding for ASUA and GPSC through grants, sponsorships, donations and business relationships.
- Assists elected student officials on fee statements, referendums, tuition setting, and working collaboratively with administration and Arizona Board of Regents.
- Works with student organizations as well as their advisors on the elements of leadership development, program management, liability, contracting, and navigating University Systems. Serve as a resource advisor to all student clubs and organizations and guide them toward effective and inclusive programming and efficient use of resources.
- Ensures that student governance is inclusive and universally designed to increase access and awareness of opportunities for all students.
Programming and Collaboration
- Participates in planning and assessment activities for Student Governance and Programs and the Dean of Students Office.
- Assists with the continuity and creation of campus traditions through creative, interactive and inclusive program initiatives.
- Implements ongoing club officer and advisor training, leadership development, elections workshops and resources.
- Ensures assessment and evaluation of activities, programs and educational initiatives.
- Advises elected and appointed student governance student leaders including but not limited to the ASUA and GPSC Executive Teams, President’s Cabinets, Senates, Spring Fling Directors, Pride Alliance, FORCE, ZonaZoo, Bear Down Camp, and Wildcat Events Board.
For more information: http://deanofstudents.arizona.edu/about/join-ua-student-governance-and-programs
To view the description and apply: https://uacareers.com/postings/17219