Reports to: Lower School Director
Position Type: Full-time; Exempt; Faculty
Summary of Responsibilities: This full-time position includes creating a positive learning environment where students thrive academically. It includes, but is not limited to:
- Collaborate with other grade level teacher, Math Specialist and Director of STEM.
- Maintain close communication with students and their families, including writing weekly newsletters, and conducting parent/teacher conference.
- Support the school philosophy, community, and policies actively.
- Prepare lessons and assignments, assessing, teaching lessons, classroom management, working with whole class, small groups, and individual students.
- Mentor a teaching associate and support them in their professional development. Teaching associates are expected to gain experience with teaching, engaging in parent communication/conferencing, and writing report card comments.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Qualified candidates will have a teaching credential or Master’s degree in Elementary Education and a minimum of 3 years of teaching experience.
- Strong desire to work in a setting that leads with academics and is coupled with social/emotional learning. Familiarity with Responsive Classroom approaches a plus.
- Experience teaching using Teachers College Reading and Writing Workshop as well as inquiry-based instructional practices in math prefered.
- Collaborates with other teachers in curriculum planning and student support, and values collegiality with other teachers and administrators.
- Excellent written communication skills and experience communicating with parents.
- Excels in leading student engagement, possesses strong conflict resolution skills, and growth mindset approach to student learning.
- Has a warm and energetic personality and a good sense of humor
Bentley School is a premier co-educational K - Grade 12 independent school in Oakland, California. Compensation is competitive and include a comprehensive benefits program, contributions to retirement, and access to funds for professional development. Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply: Please send letter of interest, the names and contact information for 3 references, resume, and teaching philosophy statement to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Second Grade Teacher in the subject line. No phone calls please.