| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
A blend of business, science, and computer expertise, Health Information Management at MSK links healthcare clinicians with information technology and is the link between patient's health information and health insurers, state and federal government, and other regulating agencies. Our mission is leadership in the management and timely provision of reliable clinical information to authorized requesters through advanced systems, continuous education and re-evaluation in support of the prevention, treatment and cure of cancer.
The Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist is responsible for:
- Facilitating improvement to the overall quality and completeness of clinical documentation.
- Obtaining appropriate and accurate clinical documentation that reflects the severity of illness and risk of mortality for inpatient discharges and assigning a working DRG.
- Interacting as an active member of the multi-disciplinary patient care team alongside physicians, allied health practitioners, case managers and other members of the patient care team to gather accurate and timely clinical information for abstraction into a designated CDIS database.
- Querying physicians using the approved query process in order to obtain clinical information.
- Adhering to the standards of ethical coding per AHA ICD-10 CM coding guidelines and MSKCC internal coding guidelines.
- An Associate's Degree or Certified Vocational training, preferably in Health Information Management or Nursing
- 2-4 years of inpatient clinical coding experience and/or RN experience working in an inpatient setting
- Information management skills necessary to communicate, explain, interpret and present information to employees, management and clinical staff of MSK.
- CCS certification/RN license preferred
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.