- Working in coordination with the Director and the OLLI Leadership Council and its committees, develop and implement a full array of lifelong learning programs and volunteer opportunities for older adults.
- Assist Leadership Council with recruitment, orientation and training of volunteer teachers
- Provide coaching as needed to enable volunteers to work effectively with older adult learners
- Secure safe, accessible space for classes and events and assist with related contracting
- Coordinate the scheduling of activities at TSRC, the lecture venues and other classroom sites.
- Acquire, secure and maintain equipment, supplies and services needed for learning activities
- Collect and evaluate feedback from participants and make recommendations for future programming
- Prepare program reports
- Address customer concerns and resolve complaints
- Establish and maintain effective collaborative relationships with other university and community organizations to develop, support and promote OLLI activities
- Share in planning, implementing and coordinating daily functions of OLLI.
- Assist in development of policies and procedures to support OLLI program activities
- Directly supervise permanent, temporary and volunteer staff
Office and Personnel Coordination
- Supervise student interns
- Coordinate volunteer program including orientation, training, scheduling, and interface with UMHS Volunteer Services Dept.
- Assist in analysis of service standards and procedures, such as record keeping systems, forms control, office layout and personnel assignments to create new systems or revise established procedures for improved quality and/or efficiency.
- Assist with maintenance of website and customize database.
Financial Stewardship & Grants Assistance
- Identify potential resources and grant opportunities and contribute to grant writing or other efforts to sustain ongoing support and secure new funding
- Assist Director in monitoring program compliance and quality per contract requirements and applicable standards
- Assist Director in ongoing communication with all sponsored funding and/or collaborating organizations.
- Implement data collection procedures to document services and provide data for required reporting (monthly, quarterly, annual and project specific reports)
Marketing, Publicity and Fundraising
- Assist with development of OLLI marketing plan and materials, including brochures, newsletters, website content, press releases, University and health system communications, etc.
- Work with committees and volunteer boards as assigned.
- Assist in donor and development activities.
Facility and Equipment Oversight
- Assist Director with Safety Activities
- Assess program sites for suitability and safety.
- Educate volunteers and participants on safety procedures
- Function as “director on duty” or secure staff person for the role as needed to handle emergencies during program hours.
Other duties may include the following:
- Participate in departmental teams and meetings and coordinate involvement of OLLI in Geriatrics Center and/or UMHS sponsored events
- Provide presentations and consultations to other civic organizations as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field,
- At least two years of experience leading programs and services
- Experience in supervisory role or demonstration of leadership skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple-tasks in a calm and efficient manner
- Proficiency using Word, Excel, Access, Publisher or other graphic design software
- Physical ability to set up classrooms and move classroom equipment/supplies
- Transportation to program sites
- Formal training in gerontology and experience working with older adults
- Knowledge and/or experience with adult learning strategies
- Experience planning, scheduling and coordinating events
- Experience supervising and coordinating volunteers.
- Experience with building/facilities operations
- Experience working with non-profit boards.
- Knowledge of effective communications, mass media and publicity
- Extensive knowledge of local community and university resources.
- Knowledge of University practices, rules and regulations.
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, professional demeanor, dependability and ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Ability to manage time, organize and complete multiple tasks with attention to detail is critical, as is problem solving and judgment within the scope of position responsibilities.
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills and must be able to give and accept direction and function both independently and collaboratively with staff and volunteers at all levels.
- Must demonstrate initiative, flexibility, and willingness to learn new tasks and assist others on a regular basis.
40 hours per week; occasional evening/weekend hours
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.