This summer educational program provides a variety of experiences for students who will be pursuing a career in a health care related field. Participants will rotate through various hospital departments, and shadow some physicians.
The program takes place from May 30 to June 30. The schedule is from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Monday - Friday. Participants must commit in advance to attending all six weeks of the program, no unexcused absences will be allowed, including for vacation time.
- Assist in the care and comforting of patients, under the direction of floor nurses.
- Assist the emergency room nurse inpatient interview, exam, procedures and disposition.
- Learn concepts of case management.
- Observe social work staff interaction with patients and the making of post-hospitalization arrangements for patients.
- Accompany social work staff on home visits to patients. Learn from the social work staff about psycho social aspects of medicine.
- Observe Pastoral Care Staff interaction with patients and follow them on their daily rounds. Learn from the Pastoral Care Staff the spiritual and holistic aspects of medicine.
- In Outpatient Clinic, weigh babies, make appointments, take vital signs and escort patients to exam rooms.
- Interact with medical staff, residents, nursing staff, and support staff in order to observe how patient care is achieved as a team effort.
Enrollment in a university or college, with 30 hours of completed coursework. Applicants are required to complete online application, provide two letters of recommendation from someone in the health care field, and submit an official college transcript no later than May 1. A limited number of positions are available for this program.
Send the transcript to: St. Anthony Hospital, Attn: Terri Analla, Human Resources at 1000 N. Lee Ave., Oklahoma City, OK 73102. The letters of recommendation you can save as an electronic file to your online application.
About SSM St. Anthony's Hospital
St. Anthony Hospital is a 601-bed regional referral facility specializing in cardiology, oncology, surgery and behavioral medicine. The hospital, established in 1898, is located in Midtown Oklahoma City and serves the needs of Central Oklahoma, as well as many counties throughout Oklahoma, through its large rural affiliate network of hospitals. Four St. Anthony Healthplex campuses provide convenient emergency and outpatient service access to the outlying communities of the metropolitan area. St. Anthony added urgent care services in May 2015 at St. Anthony North. St. Anthony has received numerous awards including the Oklahoma Quality Award for Excellence, Certified Healthy Business, Premier QUEST® Award for High-value Healthcare Citation of Merit, among others. Healthsights ranks St. Anthony at performance levels for quality and patient satisfaction higher than local competitors and many national health care organizations.