Laboratory Research Assistant - (170000GW)
The Division of Malaria Research (DMR) within the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), School of Medicine's Institute for Global Health (IGH) is recruiting for a Laboratory Research Assistant for malaria research. The aim of this position is to coordinate and participate in projects that detect and characterize P. falciparum and P. vivax infections in cohorts of exposed individuals in Southeast Asia, focusing mainly on Myanmar. The position will work in a highly collaborative environment to achieve research project goals by designing studies, logistical groundwork, performing laboratory experiments, quality control and quality assurance, analyzing data, writing reports, presenting results, and training staff, students and in-theater personnel.
This position will be primarily located in Myanmar.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Perform independent project(s) and participate in the design of research studies conducted in Southeast Asia and be responsible for the scientific adequacy and quality of research data produced by the in-theater lab teams.
- Perform various molecular biology techniques in a laboratory setting according to Good Laboratory Practices (GLP). Understand Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and assist with clinical trial processing as needed.
- Work closely with Myanmar and UMB staff to administer day-to-day laboratory operations including monitoring the budget, ensuring quality control and safety compliance, developing policies and procedures, and ordering supplies from in country as well as from the USA. Perform routine laboratory maintenance, prepare buffers and solutions, inventory and maintain storage inventories, process clinical specimens using molecular biology techniques (DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, Sanger sequencing, microsatellite analysis etc.). Collaborate, communicate and coordinate research with partners.
- Maintain proper operation of research equipment, ensuring proper operation records, cleaning, ordering of required components and explaining/resolving technical issues.
- Independently perform day-to-day laboratory research activities such as: general housekeeping; culturing of biological specimens; nucleic acid extraction; molecular assays (PCR and RT-PCR); electrophoresis, shipping, etc.
- Support overseas laboratories and collaborators to include shipping samples, reagents, and supplies. Receive, inventory and track samples and supplies from collaborators.
- Contribute to a team responsible for maintaining parasite cultures using aseptic techniques.
- Ensure quality control of data obtained for designated projects, compile results, and analyze research data using various relevant computer software applications.
- May assist with literature searches, editing and preparing manuscripts, scientific illustrations and computer graphics for publication.
- Prepare materials for research studies, including sample collection kits and research documents.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry or in a field of study related to the research of the laboratory.
* Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience. Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the laboratory, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research laboratory. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Preferred: Prior laboratory research experience is preferred.
Other: May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or blood borne pathogens.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses a knowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws.
- Ability to understand and utilize scientific/medical terminology and research theory in both oral and written communications. Knowledge and assurance of compliance issues related to laboratory activities.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences.
- Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology.
- Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base.
- Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments.
- Ability to work independently to perform assigned work.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks by meeting deadlines and keeping timelines.
- Ability to take a lead role in performing and directing various advanced and routine scientific procedures.
- Ability to perform independent projects and to serve as a consultant in area of technical specialty.
- Ability to design and recommend changes to research projects and/or area of technical specialty.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts and to understand and utilize relevant scientific/medical terminology and research theory.
- Ability to write and present information in a clear and concise way.
- Ability to identify problems and communicate information to key individuals. Skill in interpreting and understanding written information.
- Ability to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments using knowledge of compliance issues related to laboratory activities.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others.
- Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with others. Familiarity with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- May require occasional lifting of heavy packages/items.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E3303C
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Mar 10, 2017
: Mar 29, 2017, 11:59:00 PM