Our client, Burgundy Asset Management Ltd., is a leading global investment manager providing discretionary investment management for private clients, foundations, endowments, pensions, and family offices. Founded in 1991, Burgundy strives to protect and build their clients’ wealth over the long term. The firm is fully independent and employee owned.
Burgundy invests its clients’ capital in North America, Europe, Asia and Emerging Markets. The entire investment team is based in Toronto, conducting deep, bottom-up, due diligence on investment ideas and traveling extensively to visit portfolio companies and to source new investment ideas.
Thorek/Scott and Partners is currently searching for a High Yield Analyst to join their Fixed Income Team.
Career Opportunity and Organizational Structure
- Burgundy’s fixed income group currently consists of one Portfolio Manager and one Analyst. This team manages the Total Return Bond Fund, as well as a separate fund called the Bond Fund, which is focused on government and investment grade securities.
- The Portfolio Manager of the fixed income group oversees both the Bond Fund and the Total Return Bond Fund. The current Analyst is focused on investment grade credits and the new Analyst will focus on the non-investment grade portion of the Total Return Bond Fund.
- The successful candidate will report directly to the Portfolio Manager of the fixed income group and will be responsible for conducting research and making recommendations on high yield, preferred and convertible securities, as well as other non-investment grade instruments.
- Beyond the fixed income group, Burgundy has an equity investment team consisting of 7 Portfolio Managers and 15 Analysts. The successful candidate will be able to bolster his or her high yield research with notes, management team access, and other resources from the equity team.
- The successful candidate will also have full access to all of the equity investment team’s research tools, including financial databases, fundamental research subscriptions, and expert network services such as Gerson Lehrman Group and Third Bridge.
Total Return Bond Fund Overview
- The Total Return Bond Fund was established in August 2005 as a fixed income portfolio focused on corporate credits. The fund can allocate up to 60% of its assets to non-investment grade credits.
- The fund may own fixed rate bonds, structured credit products, leveraged loans, preferred securities, and convertible bonds in both developed and emerging markets.
- Approximately 50% of the portfolio is currently allocated to high yield bonds, convertible bonds, and preferred securities.
- Most of the fund’s assets are currently managed for their private clients, but there is a large opportunity for the Total Return Bond Fund in the institutional market.
- Burgundy is 100% employee owned. Of their 132 employees, 92 are equity partners. High performing Analysts can become Equity Partners through their ownership plan within two to three years.
- Burgundy is focused on generating strong absolute returns through fundamental research in equities and bonds. Investment professionals are challenged to deeply understand companies and industries.
- The Total Return Bond Fund has a broad mandate in credit quality, instrument type, and geography, creating a wide addressable investment universe.
- The Total Return Bond Fund has a 12-year track record and a large potential client base. The successful candidate will play an important role in the business development efforts of the fund.
- 2-5 years of high yield or relevant credit investing experience. Lending experience is not applicable.
- CFA or pursuing completion of CFA
- Strong analytical skills, including financial statement analysis and financial modelling skills
- Sound business judgment
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills
- A strong work ethic
- Ability to organize tasks and prioritize responsibilities
- Client presentation experience is preferred but not essential
Should your skills and experience match the requirements of this position, please forward your resume to Aaron Collins at Thorek/Scott and Partners.
APPLY TO: email@example.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
We regret that only qualified candidates will be contacted.
If you’re not interested, but know someone who is, please help a current or former colleague in their career development by referring them.