| The ILR School is seeking a Web Designer II for the K. Lisa Yang and Hock E. Tan Employment and Disability Institute (YTI) in the Extension Division of the ILR School. |
The purpose of this position is to support the K. Lisa Yang and Hock E. Tan Institute on Employment and Disability (YTI) mission and grant sponsored work through the development of innovative, visually compelling, user-friendly and accessible traditional and new media products (e.g. web sites, web applications, brochures, manuals, etc.)
Employee will be encouraged to develop web sites which present complex information in compelling and accessible ways. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following tasks: capturing user design specifications and requirements; contributing to all phases of web site development with an emphasis on the design and production of engaging, effective, interactive, and accessible interfaces for departmental and project-specific public web sites, internal administrative web applications, and online instructional programs; designing, producing, and/or procuring graphic elements for web and print projects; developing web layout templates; assisting with identification, collection, evaluation, and preparation of content for new and existing sites; developing patterns for commonly used application functionality; maintaining web sites; managing projects; testing sites for usability and accessibility; documenting systems; building and maintaining relationships and clear communication with project staff and users; and providing technical support to project staff; participating in team development initiatives that will add new functionality to sites; actively contributing to web infrastructure/software investigations and deployments.
Awareness and adherence to web accessibility guidelines (e.g. Section 508 and WCAG 1.0), standards-based coding, usability best practices, and current innovations in web application development are expected.
The position demands the ability to manage multiple tasks and to prioritize work on simultaneous on projects, and the ability to work successfully under pressure with minimal supervision at a variety of tasks within a fast-paced, team-oriented, diverse office setting.
- Bachelor's degree
- Two to three years of experience in graphic design, illustration, web site design and development, HTML/CSS
- Demonstrated knowledge of hand-coded HTML/CSS
- Intermediate to expert knowledge of PhotoShop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Artistic/creative skills necessary to design, evaluate, and produce professional, compelling print material and branding/identity packages
- Artistic/creative skills necessary to design, evaluate, and produce professional, compelling, accessible and user-friendly web interfaces
- Ability to create code HTML/CSS templates from design comps of web sites
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage interactions and communications with clients and to manage own time to meet schedules
- Ability to work effectively with a variety of people on team projects
- Respond constructively and sensitively to differing artistic sensibilities
- Strong visual and written communication skills
- Primary field of study: New Media Design (web, video, graphic design)
- Intermediate knowledge of Adobe Flash
- Familiarity with HTML 5
- Working knowledge of web accessibility standards
- Project management and documentation
- Web usability and/or accessibility testing experience
- Experience capturing and editing digital audio and/or video
- Some familiarity with server-side scripting environment (ColdFusion, JSP, ASP, PHP, etc.), SQL queries, web services, and TCP/IP networking standards.
No relocation assistance or visa sponsorship provided for this position.
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your application materials (Resume and Cover Letter) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. In the Experience section of your application, use the 'Drop Files Here' box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please click here as an external candidate or click here if you are an internal candidate.
This is a full-time, non-academic staff, benefits eligible opportunity located on the Ithaca campus.
University Job Title:Web Designer II
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Susan O'Neil
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-03-10-08:00