Requisition ID: req1391
Job Title: Instructor - Dental Hygiene
Department: Allied Health
Location: Columbus Campus
Employment Type: Faculty
Employment Status: Board Approved
Bargaining Unit: CSEA(Faculty)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Compensation Type: Two Semester
Schedule: Schedule varies per semester and office hours. Must be available M-F. Clinicals are held evenings (4:30 -8:00 PM) M-TH).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities, covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
Duties are numbered for convenience, and do not indicate order in terms of importance, frequency that the duty is performed, or the amount of time spent on the duty.
1. Be a facilitator of learning in a digital environment.
2. Fulfill the college's commitment to College Credit Plus, which requires a willingness to work with high school students, teachers, and counselors. May require travel to central Ohio's secondary schools.
3. Teaches assigned courses as scheduled in accordance with current department-approved course descriptions, course outlines, syllabi, and procedures.
4. Provides leadership and assists in the maintenance of course descriptions, course outlines, and syllabi in accordance with Career-Technical Assurance Guide (CTAG), Transfer Assurance Guide (TAG) and Ohio Transfer Module (OTM) requirements. Develops and designs courses in a variety of modalities, including self-paced, modularized and digital. Updates course descriptions, etc. routinely based on assessment results.
5. Proactively seeks and leverages external expert sources to provide input on course curriculum to ensure industry relevance.
6. Advises potential or current students within the discipline.
7. Assists, as appropriate, in the maintenance of instructional materials and laboratory facilities.
8. Employs and provides leadership in the design and development of appropriate assessment techniques to measure students' performance in achieving course goals and objectives. Communicates progress in the course to students in a timely manner. Determines and submits students' grades in accordance with established college policies and procedures.
9. Serves, when appropriate, as a coordinator or manager of curriculum instruction.
10. Contributes to the community and/or technology profession as a representative of the College and provides leadership within the department to ensure currency in the technology or discipline.
11. Keeps accurate and appropriate records in accordance with the Faculty Handbook and departmental policies.
12. Aids the college with goals of student success and retention. Assists in the identification of students with academic or other needs, and responds by utilizing appropriate resources.
13. Aid the college in partnering with secondary schools to offer complete two-year degrees in accordance with the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE).
14. Keeps up-to-date with College's educational partners and ODHE requirements.
15. Maintains posted departmental hours in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, and departmental and college policies and procedures.
16. Ensures classroom lectures contain essential curricular components; have appropriate content and pedagogy; and reflect current trends.
17. Maintains a personal portfolio for tenure and promotion review and other career-related needs.
18. Employs student, administrative and self-appraisals to establish goals and objectives for professional development, and participates in professional development activities.
19. Provides feedback, as appropriate, regarding the general operations of the department, the division, and the college.
20. Attends faculty meetings as called by the President, Senior Vice President, Dean or Department Chairperson; and participates, as appropriate, on departmental, divisional and college committees.
21. Participates, as appropriate, in additional duties and responsibilities based upon the expertise of the Instructor and the needs of the department, division, or college.
22. Works assigned schedule, exhibits regular and predictable attendance and works as required, to meet workload demands.
23. Performs other related duties as required.
Usual Physical Demands: The incumbent of this position typically exhibits the physical demands identified in the Functional Job Analysis on file in the College's Human Resources Department and which is periodically reviewed and updated. Physical demands listed in the Functional Job Analysis are not job qualification standards, but are used to help the College assess and determine reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The employee regularly sits, stands, reaches, and uses a computer. Employee occasionally bends, stoops and lifts items up to 10 pounds.
Working Conditions: Normal office and classroom working environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of digital course development and delivery; on-line instruction techniques and methods; Microsoft Office; Blackboard. Skill In: course design and development; digital course development and delivery; social media; providing quality instruction and support to a diverse student body; learning technologies and use of multi-media technology to enhance student learning; instructional planning and presentation; incorporating critical thinking, effective communication, and other general education outcomes in course content. Ability to: collaborate with Columbus State community partners, including K-12 organizations, higher education institutions, as well as business and industry; demonstrate collegiality and collaboration across all college divisions; manage curriculum development projects; perform student learning outcomes assessments; demonstrate teaching strategies that focus on student-centered learning; demonstrate a commitment to improving student scholarship through innovative strategies that aid student success and retention and reflect industry trends; adapt to multi-campus organizational work environments, as well as changes in the discipline.
Minimum qualifications for this position are: Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution is required. Minimum of 5 years clinical experience as a Registered Dental Hygienist. Must be a Registered Dental Hygienist, currently licensed in the state of Ohio. Local anesthesia and nitrous certification required. Holds a State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to work site(s).
Preferred Qualifications: Master's Degree, or/and willingness to pursue Master's Degree upon hire. Recent clinical, didactic or lab teaching experience in a CODA Accredited Dental Hygiene Program.
Additional Information: Serving more than 25,000 students across two campuses, multiple regional learning centers, and via the region's most extensive online offerings, Columbus State is one of the largest and most comprehensive colleges in Ohio. Columbus State is an Achieving the Dream Leader College due to its commitment to evidence-based development of programs and services designed to ensure student success. The College is the key architect of The Central Ohio Compact, a regional collaboration among K-12, higher education, government and business leaders, poised to reinvent the relationships between secondary education, higher education and career preparation to realize unprecedented successes in degree attainment and economic prosperity. This is an extraordinary time at the College as Columbus State redefines the role of the community college and demonstrate its capacity to elevate a region. Candidates are encouraged to read, "When a Community College Transforms a City," The Atlantic's article on Columbus State and its emerging leadership position in Central Ohio.