The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a First Cook in the Food & Nutrition Department. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent is required. Culinary Degree or certificate preferred. Four (4) years of responsible cooking experience in a Retail venue, a high volume health care facility and or commercial food service institution required. Must be knowledgeable of HACCP, ServSafe and or New York City food handlers licenses preferred and or obtained within six (6) months of hire. Must know food presentation, Al la Carte Service and Institutional Service. Must have the ability to handle the kitchen equipment including sharp objects, grills, and ovens. Must be able to speak, read, and write English fluently and follow verbal and written instructions. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing work of complex difficulty in preparation of various menu items which involves a variety of cooking operations as instructed by Production Management. Responsible for covering sections in the hot and cold kitchen as needed. Works under general direction. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Perform other assigned duties
- Plans work assignments accordantly and utilizes time effectively. Completes assignments within allotted time frames. Adjusts well to changes in work schedule, work flow and priorities.
- Provides assistance and contributes new ideas to the department. Volunteers assistance to others. Seeks additional assignments when work is completed. Demonstrates an ability to learn and adapt to changes in hospital functions, management style or routines.
- Follows established departmental sanitation standards. Follows HACCP code compliance, and all food safety standards. Applies correct sanitary procedures.
- Maintains open communication and good relationships with others. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions, or obtain needed information. Works well with all levels of staff. Works at establishing a good rapport and professional working relationship with all departmental personal; maintains appropriate interdepartmental communications.
- Attends meetings and in-services for food production employees. Assures management of attendance at meeting & in-services by signing attendance sheet. Is aware and understands material and instructions given.
- Oversees preparation of all foods. Oversees and insures the timely set-up of food delivery to all users according to the production sheets and the supervisors instructions. Reviews the food prepared by the 2nd cook, 3rd cook and cooks helper and adherence to daily menu and set established guidelines. Brings discrepancies to the attention of the supervisor.
- Utilizes all types of kitchen equipment to prepare food. Uses the appropriate following equipment: broilers, ovens, deep-fat fryers, slicers, choppers, steamers, steam kettles, tilt fry kettles, mixers, robo coup, pumping station, and miscellaneous small equipment such as knives, paddles, whips, etc. Uses the appropriate equipment for the proper preparation and service of food.
- Prepares and cooks a wide variety of food including meats, poultry, and seafood. Sets up assigned work are by collecting and assembling food and supplies needed to complete duties. Sets up and prepares equipment for use in food production. Follows proper cooking procedures in accordance with the standardized recipe cards and the supervisors instructions to produce an uniformed product. Garnishes the food properly. Assists in the timely set-up of food delivery to user areas according to production sheets and the supervisors instructions.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.