Works under the general direction of the Central Laboratory Supervisor, Microbiology Supervisor, Surgical Pathology Supervisor and Central Accessioning Supervisor. Performs routine and special technical laboratory analyses, operates and maintains instruments according to established laboratory procedures and protocols, with a maximal degree of effectiveness to provide accurate and timely test results. Exercises independent judgement in recognizing and solving test related problems. Authorized by the Laboratory Director to perform technical job duties and limited supervisory and technical oversight duties in our high complexity testing laboratory as specified Section 493.1495 (Testing Personnel Responsibilities) and Section 493.1463 (General Supervisor Responsibilities)
- Technical Functions: a. Performs routine and stat analyses as assigned to provide accurate and timely results. May perform special analyses as assigned. b. Participates in established quality control program and follows through appropriately if problem is identified. c. Follows written policies and procedures for use and maintenance of lab equipment and supplies, keeping current on changes. d. Collects and uses data and clinical information to make informed decisions. e. Assists in bench instruction/teaching or orientation of routine and special procedures as assigned. f. Draws blood from adult, pediatric and/or infant patients using proper identification and collection techniques. g. May perform additional responsibilities or duties for instrument systems, methods or testing area (ie. instrument key operator).
- Knowledge: Demonstrates adequate knowledge of all aspects of the job.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills: Maintains communication with staff and follow-up with Supervisor appropriately as section needs indicate. Communicates pertinent information and works collaboratively with all internal and external customers. Communicates with customers (both in and out of the hospital), staff and supervisors in a courteous manner to create a positive image of helpfulness and cooperation.
- Customer Service: Follows through with customer concerns and/or requests from customers related to Laboratory section assigned.
- Problem Solving: Recognizes problem exists, initiates follow through and resolves problem with appropriate level of direction or assistance.
- Teamwork and Flexibility: Works effectively as a team member, contributing to the overall efficiency and harmonious working relationships of the section/shift and department. Adapts to change which includes but is not limited to procedures, workflow, equipment and schedules to meet the clinical laboratory needs requested by our customers.
- Process Improvement and CQI : Completes/files occurrence reports and participates in the Laboratory Quality Improvement Program to continuously improve the overall quality of laboratory services.
- Continuing Education: Maintains skills and knowledge at the competency level required for the position and for maintenance of certification.
- Competency: Independently completes Laboratory and Hospital-wide competencies by required completion dates.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Assumes charge duties when appointed. Coordinates the day-to-day operations of the section to meet the workload needs and section personnel, and calls Staff in to work, as needed. Communicate pertinent information to management and technical staff.
- Teaching: Uses theoretical and technical knowledge to correctly orient new employees or instruct students in basic techniques, procedures and instrument operation by demonstration as assigned. May have responsibilities for MLT student program coordination and evaluation.
- Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science (or related sciences) in an approved school of clinical laboratory science. In addition Microbiology education and certification requirements may include RM(NRM), M(ASCP), or bachelor's degree in medical microbiology (or related sciences) and appropriate clinical experience.
- CLS/MT (ASCP) or equivalent certification.
- An in depth professional working knowledge and skills required to properly identify specimens, perform all standard laboratory procedures, perform preventive maintenance and troubleshooting, perform quality control procedures, assess and verify validity of patient test results, being aware of the factors that influence test results.
- Requires good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to make independent judgements.
- Requires basic skills in use of computers.
St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offeringinpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care andnearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include theFamily Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics,emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University ofWisconsin School of Medicine's three-year family practice residency program. Since1912, St. Mary's has provided service to much of south-central Wisconsinincluding Dane County and 17 other nearby counties. In the growing city of SunPrairie, northeast of Madison, St. Mary's Emergency Clinic provides services tomore than 30,000 residents.