Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation is recruiting for an outgoing outdoor enthusiast to fill a part time parks and trails maintenance position. This person will have the opportunity to work in the field with a small team of National Gold Medal winning professionals dedicated to maintaining and improving parks, trails and greenways. Applicants must have a background in grounds maintenance, a strong work ethic and a desire to learn while working in a fun outdoor environment.
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to work Monday – Friday 7:00am to 3:00pm from start date TBD and will not work beyond September 30. This position is supervised by the Parks Maintenance Foreman and will report to the Trails and Greenways Technician for daily job duties, tasks, and regular assignments. This position may be asked to fill in for custodial workers in cases of absenteeism or other scheduling conflicts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Provide clean, safe, and desirable access to trails, paths, parking lots, woodland areas, wetlands, and prairies by routinely clearing access areas.
- Including using gas powered trimmers, hand pruners, mechanized blowers, or push brooms to remove vegetation and debris from parking areas, pathways, and trails.
- Maintaining signage in assigned areas by regularly cleaning to keep them legible, as well as installing, repairing and replacing signs and/or sign posts as needed.
- Monitoring for hazards created by uneven settling of surfaces, storm events, or unforeseen circumstances. You may be trained to operate a chainsaw for some large tree or branch work.
- Reporting challenges to access that are not easily and immediately removable.
- Keeps Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation trailhead and park areas clean and inviting by performing routine cleaning of restroom facilities.
- Including eliminating nests, spider webs, dust, spraying cleaners, scrubbing and wiping down fixtures, mopping, restocking, and monitoring for proper function of lights, locks, doors, sinks and toilets.
- Reporting issues of non-functioning fixtures, facilities, or equipment, to full time staff or repairing on site if applicable.
- Removal of waste and trash from various receptacles inside restroom facilities.
- Beautifying Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation with maintenance objectives that may be routine or less predictable can include additional semi-skilled tasks depending on your experience and the needs of the agency. Some of these potential tasks are listed below.
- Grounds keeping, such as edging, trimming, watering, cutting limbs, removing fallen limbs, pruning, mulching, planting shrubs and trees, applying pesticides and herbicides, sweeping, raking, removing snow, and maintaining parking areas.
- Completing manual work tasks associated with trimming vegetation, maintenance, and repair of recreational facilities and equipment such as playgrounds, shelters, and signage.
- Maintaining machinery, equipment, and tools in operable condition, including replacing fluids, grease and parts, while keeping items and work area clean and free of safety hazards. Reports faulty equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required, such as assisting recreation staff with special event preparation.
- Enhance the environment and visitor experience by routinely monitoring for waste outside in the Carmel Clay Parks and Recreation parks, greenways, and trail locations, checking trash cans and replacing liners before they are full.
- Including checking all receptacles at all assigned locations.
- Removing and replacing liners, and transporting waste to nearest Carmel Clay Parks & Recreation dumpster.
- Monitoring and removal at parks, playgrounds, and picnic areas for discarded trash, litter, and various waste around the properties that has escaped the receptacles.
- Completing your responsibilities includes adherence to these regular priorities. Training will be provided when necessary.
- Operating necessary vehicles and equipment used in park maintenance which may include trucks, UTV, tractors, loaders, and other machinery.
- Utilizes precautionary safety equipment and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees, volunteers, and the public.
- Comply with all codes, laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.