Calvert School, an independent lower and middle school, is searching for a Grade Dean to start mid-August 2017. The Grade Dean will work under the direction of the Head of Lower School and will work primarily with Kindergarten, Pre-First, and First Grade (Fifth through Seventh Ages) classes at Calvert School. The Dean will work to create more effective and efficient systems for sharing information about student academic and behavioral progress. The Dean will work to create greater cohesiveness in terms of student support and faculty collaboration under the direction of the Head of Lower School. This is a 10-month position.
Through its time-tested method of teaching and its rigorous curriculum, Calvert School is dedicated to educating girls and boys. Calvert School is located in Tuscany-Canterbury, a residential neighborhood in Baltimore City, just north of Johns Hopkins University and south of Loyola University Maryland, accessible from Charles Street and I-83.
Responsibilities will include the following:
Student Activities and Academic Life –
- Monitors student academic success. Seeks to actively know students’ strengths and weaknesses and responds promptly and with care to student issues and concerns.
- Establishes guidelines for proper student conduct and dress, maintains student discipline consonant with school policies and monitors students’ adherence to established school rules.
- Monitors homework assignment calendar; consults with teachers regarding scheduling of major assignments, tests, and projects.
Faculty Management/Teaching –
- Assists the Head of Lower School in observing, supervising, and evaluating the faculty in the development and implementation of the Calvert curriculum.
- Attends grade level team meetings and oversees the agendas working collaboratively with the grade level team leaders.
- Teaches classes creating a learning environment that is motivating and age appropriate setting clear expectations for class work and homework while maintaining current books and instructional resources that support the classroom learning.
- Maintains an accurate and organized system for monitoring student grades and records. Meets reporting deadlines and requirements and follows school-wide procedures for reporting grades.
- Communicates Calvert Folder Paper expectations to faculty and reviews Folder Papers periodically.
- Edits Progress Reports and helps manage student reports and evaluations.
- Maintains substitute plans and engages substitutes in advance when needed.
- Other work-related duties as assigned by supervisor or management.
Qualified candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education with five to seven years of related experience. A Master’s degree along with experience teaching five, six and seven year olds is preferred. Candidates must have excellent interpersonal skills and the vision to guide the school’s future development. Experience in working with an independent private school is a plus and candidates must have the ability to work with independence in dealing with the diverse elements of the academic environment. This position requires absolute confidentiality and professionalism.
Calvert School offers a competitive benefits package including medical, prescription, dental, life, short-term disability, long-term disability, and retirement savings plans. Generous paid leave is also offered.
A State of Maryland and FBI background check will be performed.
Interested candidates should send a resume, including salary history, to:
Human_Resources@CalvertSchoolMD.org (preferred method)
Calvert School – HR Dept.
105 Tuscany Road
Baltimore, MD 21210