Washtenaw Community College (WCC) just celebrated our 50 year anniversary; we offer excellent benefits, top pay and a great work life balance. We are seeking a motivated HVAC-R Instructor to excel in our Advanced Technology/Public Service Careers division (beginning Fall 2017 semester). This is a great opportunity with a focus on individualized instruction.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide individualized instruction on including but not limited to: building load calculation, HVACR system service and diagnostics, installation and maintenance, HVACR primary and secondary equipment selection, energy analysis and controls.
• Present lectures and conduct discussions to increase student’s knowledge and competence of subject matter
• Connect subject matter with related fields so that students get a feel for real world applications
• Educate students in safe work practice application when using hand tools, shop equipment and when performing processes in the lab.
• Supervise and monitor student’s use of tools and equipment to help ensure safe work practices are being executed at all times
• Utilize technology to enhance teaching and the educational experience where appropriate, i.e. use of Blackboard, development and use of videos, visual aids, presentation material, etc., that aid in student understanding and adoption
• Work together with department in the planning and development of course curriculum, for both current and future offerings, to keep our program aligned with industry and ahead of the curve wherever possible.
• Collaborate with department on updating of any course material (syllabi, objectives, etc.), to keep courses and offerings fresh and aligned with industry and on the cutting edge wherever possible.
• Participate in department meetings and program advisory committee meetings
• Participate in college events, which may fall outside a faculty’s schedule, that promote our program and the college, such as; recruiting events, campus tours organized by the college, open houses and competitions sponsored by the department, etc
• Maintain technical knowledge of the HVAC field through active participation in professional development organizations, events, seminars, training, etc., and integrate relevant information into program.
• Advise students on registration, course selections, career decisions and other academic and vocational concerns.
• Evaluate student performance fairly and consistently.
• Demonstrate sensitivity to student’s needs and circumstances.
• Maintain accurate and confidential records of student progress and submit final grade rosters each semester in accordance with college policy and FERPA.
• Post and maintain regular office hours to ensure accessibility to colleagues and students for advisement and consultation.
• Assist with hiring and oversee/direct part-time staff.