| Provide executive level writing, research and editing to primarily support the Office of the Vice President, University Relations, in addition to the division as required.|
Connect the mission, goals and priorities of the division and university to both internal and external audiences within various methods of communication. Support other university units, and departments within the division, requesting involvement of the Associate Vice President (AVP)/Vice President (VP) to develop and refine clear, concise, and timely communication materials including: talking points, background materials, leadership messaging, statements, speeches and presentations for internal and external audiences, publications, high-level complex institutional writing and editing, and correspondence for a variety of stakeholders. Create and/or edit briefs for the AVP/VP, and on behalf of the AVP/VP, for spokespersons and leadership representatives. Incorporate brand awareness in messaging that is in alignment with division and university strategy. Must have strong communications background and an understanding of media and internal and external stakeholder viewpoints. Proficient in current technologies for creating, tracking, and delivering messages. Information gathering and PowerPoint production for presentations. Must exhibit political sensitivity, and strong writing and editing skills. May lead project teams in a collaborative and efficient manner. Leverages project management skills to ensure timely completion of multiple projects. Must work well at all levels inside the university.
Bachelor's degree and 5 to 7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent skills in research and writing for a wide range of audiences, with an emphasis on speed, thoroughness, responsiveness, and appropriateness to a variety of different audiences and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively with others; ability to exercise a high degree of judgment and diplomacy.
- Impeccable commitment to confidentiality; understanding of education, research and service mission of a major research university.
- Understanding of and experience with reputation and brand management.
- Understanding of Cornell University's history, mission and current priorities.
- Familiarity with contemporary trends in higher education and in the larger society.
- Experience in higher education communications, government relations and public relations highly desirable.
- Prior Cornell experience desirable.
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your application materials (Resume/Cover Letter/CV) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. In the Experience section of your application, use the 'Drop Files Here' box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to apply online please click here as an external candidate or click here if you are an internal candidate. Please note: Cornell Employees must apply through the Internal Cornell Career site.
No Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
No relocation assistance is available for this position
University Job Title:Staff Writer III
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Cyndi Morris
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-03-09-08:00