NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Building Service Attendant.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the maintenance of an approved level of cleanliness and sanitary conditions of the areas assigned within the Medical Center.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains established safety and infection control guidelines. Follows established departmental safety guidelines when using equipment and moving furniture; utilizes proper body mechanics. Requests assistance when lifting or moving items too large or too heavy. Wears gloves at all times and follows established infection control procedures. Washes hands frequently (Infection Control Guidelines), prevents cross contamination. Advises supervisor of any hazardous conditions in the area. Posts appropriate wet floor signs and takes other actions to prevent accidents caused by wet floor as designated by departmental policy.
- Should be proficient in the operation of the computer Bed Tracking System and a pager for receiving discharges to be cleaned and reporting completed discharges. Knowledgeable in the Bed Tracking program. Performs 7-Cleaning Steps for each patient room daily and provides discharge cleaning as required. Specifically, performs dusting, spot wall washing, damp wiping of environmental surfaces using bleach and/or hospital approved disinfectant cleaner. Sweeps and mops floor, disinfects bathrooms and restocks supplies. Empties and re-lines trash containers. Removes finger marks from walls, doors and any other surface. Performs high dusting as scheduled/required. Uses germicidal cleaner for disinfecting all items in toilets. Knowledge in hospital safety, specifically RACE, PASS, chemical and trash safety, MSDS, HIPPA and all infection control protocols. Picks up and disinfects with appropriate solution area soiled by blood, body fluids including feces on any surface.
- Vacuums all carpeted area thoroughly; removes spots from carpet using a carpet spotter, moves all items necessary to vacuum entire carpeted area. Polishes floors using burnishing machines. Uses proper burnishing solution and buffing pads. Moves all necessary items to burnish entire floor; ensure that floor has a shine after buffing with Burnisher. Removes as many marks from floor as possible. Sweeps floor after burnishing. Washes all beds from discharges and places clean linen on beds neatly. Sets up discharge rooms for admission according to specifications.
- Consistently maintains adequate supplies throughout daily work day. Typically is in control of all tools and equipment needed to perform daily tasks. Performs a complete and thorough cleaning of area assigned (as per work assignment/schedule) in accordance with departmental procedures and Supervisors instructions. Empties trash receptacles and disposes of trash properly, washes (interior/exterior) if necessary, and replace clean poly-liners as required. Sweeps hard floor surfaces with sweeping tools, moves all necessary items to make floor lint/dirt-free; uses clean dust mops. Mops hard floor surfaces with the appropriate germicidal/bleach solution, clean water and mop head; move all necessary items to make floor lint/dirt free; changes mopping solution regularly.
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums, collects trash, polishes floors using buffing/burnishing machines, performs high dusting, spot washes and doors as needed, removes marks, cleans and makes beds, spot wall washing. washes toilets, cleans furniture, empties trash receptacles, cleans Venetian blinds and shades , radiators, railings, stairways, lights, vents, doors, removes and hangs cubicle and shower curtain. Uses of ladder for door frames and cleans picture frames. Washes porters closets, equipment, and replenishes cleaning supplies. Uses telephone and pager for Bed Tracking.
To qualify you must be able to communicate and understand simple directions in English. Must be able to read MSDS & chemical labels.
One to two years experience cleaning in a Health Care environment preferred but not required
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.