NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for organizing daily patient schedules, triaging incoming patient reports to appropriate locations, preparation of slides/graphics for presentation at meetings and lectures, answering phones, preparation of billing information for billing services, obtaining and documenting insurance pre-authorizations and pre-certifications and facilitating patient administrative needs
- Schedules visits treatments, outpatient procedures and hospital admissions for patients. Schedules meetings and time off for clinical staff. Updates staff with schedule changes. Utilizes applicable computer systems to schedule patients for needed services. Effectively communicates scheduled services and provides information to patients and caregivers as necessary.
- Coordinates with Referring Physicians offices to facilitate referrals and authorizations for scheduled procedures prior to appointment date. Ensures that necessary referrals and authorizations are received prior to the appointment date. Processes authorizations and referrals as needed.
- Conducts face-to-face or telephone interview with patients to obtain all required registration data. Obtains all necessary clinical information from Clinical Cancer Center clinical personnel to support medical necessity if required by 3rd party payors. Effectively gathers needed pre-registration data from patients and caregivers via telephone and in-person.
- Communicates charges to Self-Pay patients prior to appointment. Refers patients to Financial Counselor for payment arrangements or alternative financial sources as necessary. Effectively communicates charges to self-pay patients. Properly refers patients to the Financial Counselor as necessary.
- Ensures that pre-certification requirements are met for scheduled outpatient procedures and hospital admissions. Notifies patients, Physician and Medical Secretary when 3rd party payor does not authorize scheduled services, so that determination can be made whether patient should be scheduled.
- Maintains/develops/fosters a cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses, professional and office staff.
- Facilitates patient care by providing information, resolving problems and assisting patients with issues outside the office if needed. Handles incoming phone calls related to scheduling by responding to inquiries, resolving problems or directing calls to the appropriate staff.
- Performs miscellaneous administrative duties and provides reception coverage area as needed.
- Prioritizes assignments in order to complete work in a timely manner when there are changes in workload, assignments, and pressures of deadlines, competitive requirements and/or a heavy workload to ensure deadlines are met.
- Demonstrates communication skills: using appropriate vocabulary and grammar when obtaining and conveying information to physicians, nurses, professionals and other staff at various levels; in person, over the phone, in writing and in electronically sent messages.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. JCAHO) appropriate for position.
- Extensive experience and competency with varied computer hardware and software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, scheduling, communications and presentation applications.
- Writing skills to compose and edit logical, detailed, comprehensive and grammatically correct correspondence.
- Superior typing skills to prepare correspondence with speed and accuracy.
- Knowledge of insurance companies admission procedures and policies to complete pre-authorization requirements.
- Knowledge of hospital procedures to obtain laboratory and imaging information.
- Skill in communicating with patients, families, physicians, nurses, staff and peers with diplomacy and tact.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, preferably oncology/hematology.
- Ability to handle matters of highly confidential and sensitive nature.
- Ability to recognize and identify problems, recognize implications and propose alternative solutions.
- Skill in prioritizing assignments to complete work in a timely manner.
- Skill in working independently and in following through on assignments with minimal direction
- Bi-lingual in Cantonese or Mandarin required, fluency in both is preferable.
AAS or Commercial/Secretarial School Diploma
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.