NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Research Scientist.
The Simeone laboratory at the Perlmutter Cancer Center has an overarching goal to improve survival of pancreatic cancer patients. The lab focuses on understanding the basic mechanisms that drive pancreatic tumorigenesis and early metastasis, and the contribution of tumor cell heterogeneity in driving therapeutic resistance. Project areas include DNA damage signaling (BRCA, ATM), tumor microenvironment, the development of complex 3-D models and use of microfluidic systems, cancer stem cells, and novel therapeutics. Our work spans the full spectrum from basic discovery, innovative translational approaches, including the development of more predictive preclinical models, and the development of novel therapeutic approaches to treat pancreatic cancer patients. We are seeking a highly motivated senior scientist with an interest in performing state-of-the art research in pancreatic cancer to join our newly created pancreatic cancer research laboratory to further develop and innovative research strategies to address major challenges in pancreatic cancer research. The Simeone laboratory is highly collaborative and works with numerous premier investigators in academia and the pharma and tech sectors to propel scientific advances to the clinical setting. The individual will be responsible for collaborating with Principal Investigator (PI) and her collaborative team and working independently within the scientific framework of the PI's laboratory.
- Initiates, interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates research assignments critical to the mission of the Pancreatic Cancer Center.
- Formulates and conducts research on problems of considerable scope and complexity to make advances in understanding the basic biological underpinnings of pancreatic cancer or advances in therapeutic targeting.
- Develops new ideas that promote current research. Exercises a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive scientific research programs and activities of outstanding novelty and/or importance.
- Assist in managing the operations of a lab for the Principal Investigator by supervising Post Docs and technicians. Oversees the maintenance and upkeep of all instruments and laboratory facilities.
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of research projects.
- May provide students with technical guidance and direction in the operation of various research projects within the lab.
- Encouraged to seek grant funding from external sources in support of their independent research projects with consent of the PI. Will participate in writing grant proposals.
- May be responsible research/lab quality control and compliance.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the advances in specialized fields through attendance of scientific conferences.
- Make significant contributions to or lead scientific efforts resulting in high impact, peer-reviewed manuscripts.
- May provide recommendations for equipment purchases and for the redesign of lab space.
- May coordinate the activity and experimental design between various labs, scientific staff, and collaborators. Identifies and resolves technical problems.
- May serve on internal committees to help further goals of research projects and bring new expertise to the research program.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- MD or PhD and 8 years' experience.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.