About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Staff Auditor position is responsible for conducting structured, limited-scope compliance reviews and may assist Senior Auditors and the Audit Manager in the performance of financial, compliance, and operational audits of campus organizations and departments. In addition, this position is responsible for conducting, as an Auditor-In-Charge (AIC), small to mid-size audits of departments and functional areas where the scope is expected to be straight-forward in nature. Incumbents are expected to have exposure to internal audit work which conforms to professional standards. Work assigned to incumbents will generally be well defined and is expected to be carried out with supervision from the Audit Manager. Auditors should complete work with general instructions, seeking guidance from supervising staff when clarification of assigned tasks is needed. Decisions regarding the scope of work performed, nature of testing completed, and the reporting disposition of results will be overseen by the Audit Manager and/or Associate Director. Incumbents are responsible for communicating audit results, including the preparation of written reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, or related field or equivalent training and/or experience.
- Education/experience demonstrating knowledge of General Accepted Auditing Standards and good business processes.
- Proficiency in current office software such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software, and relational databases.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Possess a high energy level and strong work ethic with a commitment to continuous improvement in a dynamic environment that strives to exceed expectations.
- Ability to effectively collect and analyze data, draw conclusions, and develop recommendations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with co-workers and university personnel.
- Ability to prepare error-free documentation and correspondence in a professional and timely manner.
- Must have good time management skills to plan, manage, and coordinate audit projects, and have effective problem solving skills.
- Must be able to use professionalism in working with confidential and sensitive matters with the utmost discretion and tact.
- Periodic in-state travel may be required. Overtime may be required occasionally to complete work assignments on time.
- Hired applicant must successfully pass a conviction check.
- CPA, CIA, CISA, and/or relevant professional certification.
- Data retrieval experience with programming tools that access hierarchical and relational databases (Oracle).
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations applicable to a higher education environment.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 04/03/2017