Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The EMEA Legal and Compliance Department is charged with day-to-day oversight and coordination of the Firm's compliance with core regulatory requirements covering all businesses including Institutional Sales and Trading (fixed income, commodities, equities), Investment Banking, Research Investment Management and Private Wealth Management Business across the EMEA region.
Background on the Team
Morgan Stanley's EMEA Litigation team within the Legal and Compliance Division based in London is seeking to hire a Paralegal. The EMEA Litigation team, which comprises four lawyers reporting to the EMEA Head of Litigation, provides litigation and contentious regulatory support across EMEA for all business units. This includes:
- Advising on and managing pending and threatened legal (including civil, criminal and administrative) and contentious regulatory proceedings.
- Advising on and assisting with dispute prevention and broader risk management in a number of forms, including pre-litigation/pre-investigation advice.
- Identifying risks on the basis of experience and finding ways to minimise or eliminate them.
- Training on litigation risks, advising on policies and procedures, and advising on contracts to ensure that Morgan Stanley has all appropriate protections.
- Managing relationships with external Counsel and other service providers.
- Collaborating closely with Legal and Compliance coverage, and other members of the Global Litigation team.
- Liaising with IT, external counsel and outside providers in relation to document requests and data hosting, for EMEA Litigation and other teams within LCD (namely, Conduct Risk and Employment teams).
- Collaborating with other regional paralegals to request documents on cross-regional litigation matters.
- Assisting with responding to compulsory production notices, including reviewing documents where appropriate.
- Assisting with discovery/disclosure exercises and evidence gathering in connection with court proceedings.
- Assisting with administrative/reporting tasks - e.g. general responsibility for the matter management system, reserves, periodic updates for individual Business Units.
- Assisting with document and voice recording holds including maintaining a list of holds originating in EMEA.
- Responsibility for creating and updating case budgets and general responsibility for reviewing outside counsel invoices.
- Assisting the EMEA Employment team with responding to Subject Access Requests, including drafting correspondence where appropriate.
- Responsibility for initiating the Asset Freezing procedure for the EMEA region, including instructing account or party lockdowns where necessary.
- Maintaining the guidelines and contacts list for the Legal and Compliance Division in the event of an unscheduled visit by a regulator.
- General research tasks.
Skills required (essential)
Qualifications and Experience
-Legal qualification (paralegal or law degree) preferred.
Skills and Qualities
-Able to absorb, sort and prioritise different work streams.
-Professional maturity, confidence, presence and initiative.
-Excellent judgment and analytical skills.
-Excellent oral and written communication skills.
-Strong interpersonal skills.
-Strong administrative skills.
-Good team player.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.