PITZER COLLEGE, one of the nation’s preeminent liberal arts institutions, seeks a strategic, engaged, student-centered, visionary, and innovative leader as its next Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. This is an incredible opportunity for an experienced student affairs professional. The Dean will harness the talents of a committed and dedicated team, work with remarkable students and an inspirational and supportive senior leadership team in the delivery of innovative programs and services that meet Pitzer’s diverse and engaged student body. Units reporting to the Dean include Residence Life, Center for Asian Pacific American Students, and Summer Conferences. The Dean will also serve as compliance officer for student affairs and the chief judicial officer. Success in this position will require visionary leadership, a keen understanding of and appreciation for the role of student life in a residential liberal arts college, experience with a complex array of services and programs, a passion for students and their development, a capacity for and commitment to building diverse and inclusive communities, and a hearty sense of humor!
Pitzer College is a top-ranked liberal arts institution and member of the prestigious consortium of The Claremont Colleges. With a student body of approximately 1,000 co-educational undergraduates, Pitzer’s core values include social responsibility, intercultural understanding, interdisciplinary learning, student engagement and environmental sustainability. The College is ranked eighth in the country for most engaged students in community service, fifth for the most undergraduate students studying abroad, and number one for six straight years in the most Fulbrights awarded to students.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Please note this is a summary of the main functions for the position; for a detailed description please visit our recruitment site at the web address listed below.
- Provide overall supervision of the residential life, housing and summer programs.
- Supervise and evaluate a varied student development and activities program. Work closely with all campus constituencies to create and conduct social, cultural, recreational, and academic programs that are fully integrated into all aspects of student life, including residential life.
- Responsible for the overall sound fiscal and administrative management of the residential life, housing and summer conference programs, and CAPAS.
- Perform on-call duty coverage on a rotating basis and respond to student crises when necessary.
- Serve as the chief student conduct officer. Manage the judicial council process. Advise the Judicial Council and provide training for the Council on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate and manage student conduct follow through with other conduct officers at the College. Develop conduct related materials and provide training as needed.
- Serve as the chief Student Affairs compliance officer.
- Serve as chair of the behavioral intervention team (SIFT). Provide intake support for student issues and crises. Respond on site when needed and meet individually with students, parents and others as necessary.
- Serve as a programming advisor and resource to students, student organizations, and staff/faculty. Serve as a resource and referral to students, on a variety of personal and academic matters. Provide individual and group counseling when necessary.
- Participate in the formulation of policies; develop and revise methods, systems and procedures for implementation of new and ongoing policies; conduct related research as needed.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties, including providing semester reports, surveys, and other requested documents. Assist with special projects, programs and services when necessary.
- Develop and implement training programs and materials based on established student development models.
- Maintain current knowledge of liability, safety, instructional issues, policies, etc., and interpret for students.
- Collaborate with other departments and colleges; liaison with 5-College Residential Life Deans, 5-College Activities Directors and 5-College Orientation Directors as necessary.
- Assist in Commencement, Orientation and other special event planning.
- Assist the Vice President for Student Affairs with division-wide professional development, strategic planning, vision setting, budget management, and operations.
- Perform other essential duties and tasks specific to the position, as assigned.
- Represent the Division of Student Affairs in the absence of the Vice President.