Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the recommendation, development and implementation of accounting, financial and purchasing policies, procedures and systems that are in accord with GAAP and Safer mission and policy.
- Develop and maintain system of checks and balances which will ensure that accounting and finance functions including, but not limited to, payroll, payables, billing, contract financial reporting, collections, and cash management are in accord with good practice, Safer policy, and consistently operate in a way to maximize earning (both earned revenue and portfolio income).
- Ensure that Safer is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations including IRS requirements. Maintain controls that are adequate to protect the assets of Safer.
- Provide direction and supervision of the Accounting Manager, Purchasing & Disbursement Manager, Payroll Administrator and the ATC Business Office Manager
- Provide oversight and direction for the generation of billings and required reports to external customers that result in the accurate request and receipt of receivables.
- Manage and complete the annual budget process in a timely manner and in a format that is understandable to end users at various levels of the organization.
- Produce, on time, regular management reports that allow managers to track their performance against budget. Regularly monitor cost center budget performance and alert management to issues arising out of the results of the monitoring.
- Provide Safer managers with timely suggestions for program and operational enhancements, based on data and the analysis of that data by Finance and based on observation of operations.
- Proactively provide data and analysis and respond promptly and accurately to requests for assistance from Safer managers and external customers.
- Serve as primary liaison and contact person to Safer’s Accounting firm for purposes of the annual audit and other relevant projects.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Complete detailed, accessible knowledge of all accounting techniques, standards, regulations and practices.
- High level of knowledge about taxation, both for-profit and not-for-profit.
- Some knowledge of all of the following and detailed knowledge in at least one of these areas:
- Cash management
- Cost accounting
- Knowledge of Fund Accounting, a very strong plus
- Proficient in MS word, Excel, and Power Point software programs
- Oral and written communication skills are required, including presentation skills and negotiation skills
- Coach and teacher of in-group sessions
- Ability to constructively connect mission and finance
- Ability to act as a strong spokesperson for the CFO
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Relevant Disciple (Finance, Accounting, etc.)
- Currently Licensed Certified Public Accountant
- 7 to 10 Years Relevant Experience including:
- Producing financial analysis that has proven useful and accessible
- In-depth accounting experience
- Budgeting and Business planning
- Success at managing a financial operation
- History of teaching others about financial matters and convincing others based on what the numbers say
- Excellent record as a developer of people
- Management through others
The Safer Foundation supports, through a full spectrum of services and advocacy, the efforts of people with arrest and criminal records to become employed, law-abiding members of the community and as a result, reduce recidivism.
All positions are Full-Time (40-hours/week) and located in the Chicago Metropolitan area unless otherwise specified.
Safer Foundation is a drug-free workplace.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action/Minorities/Females/Veterans
No Phone Calls Please