Requisition # 2017-7239
Category Information Technology
Date Posted 3/6/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Politics department at Princeton University is seeking a collaborative and customer service oriented Technical Support Manager to provide support for the department's staff, current and emeritus faculty, and graduate students.
This individual will report directly to the Academic Manager and will also have responsibility for providing technical and systems related support to faculty, staff and visiting fellows associated with the James Madison Program and the Bobst Center for Peace and Justice.
Essential Daily Job Functions
- Install, configure, administer, and maintain Department's desktop and laptop computers and servers
- Install, configure and troubleshoot a variety of desktop productivity applications, analytical software and information access tools in a mixed Mac OS Yosemite to Sierra/Windows environment
- Provide support for administrative applications such as Peoplesoft, CIS, etc.
- Administer department's website
- Building and maintenance of many online departmental systems and applications
- Build, test, and maintain departmental web applicationz in Drupal (PHP, MySQL, HTML and CSS).
- Provides support for projectors and all other AV equipment as needed by users.
- Educate/train faculty, staff, and students on proper computing techniques not only on a day-to-day/one-on-one basis but in a class type environment as well.
- Provide guidance for Faculty and Staff on their computing purchases.
- Repair/replace hardware on computers and devices that have fallen out of warranty or are otherwise not covered by OIT hardware support.
- Prepare and manage data wipe and surplus of outdated systems and devices.
- Provide iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, and other handheld system support.
- Complete all related purchasing through the University's marketplace.
- Candidate will be expected to keep abreast of new software and hardware technologies that may benefit the department and its people and to participate in collaborative working relationships with other University units and the Office of Information Technology
- Must attend monthly SCAD/DCS meetings and training; staying involved in the SCAD/DCS community is a must for this position.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- Characteristics of the successful candidate include an exemplary customer service attitude, strong initiative, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Strong experience in systems administration and desktop software support
- Experience in supporting Outlook, Apple Mail and Thunderbird
- Strong oral, interpersonal and written communication skills, with a customer-service orientation
- Must be able to utilize and understand Unix, PHP, MySQL, programming as it pertains to LAMP backend.
- Additional web design, computerized graphic design and, or programming experience.
- Highly competitive candidates will be able to support Windows, Mac OS and Linux clients without bias or prejudice and have experience with some or all of the following software applications: EndNote, MySQL, Scientific Workplace, and/or R/S-Plus
- Strong knowledge of Unix Shell Scripting
- Apache web server administration including TomCat
- PowerShell and AutoIT scripting experience for single service application development and system administration
- Strong background in Applescript, Perl, Python, JSP languages.
- Group Policy and MCX understanding related to user deployment
- Strong knowledge of backend Drupal support and development
- Unix terminal administration
- Strong knowledge of LDAP structure for authentication and as a web service
- Firm grasp of ARD administration
- SharePoint administration
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Mac OS Yosemite - Sierra, and Linux administration
- Strong understand of NTFS and Unix permissions including POSIX and ACL's
- Mac OS and Windows imaging experience
- OwnCloud support
- FileMaker Database Server
- Proficient with SSH, FTP, SFTP, SMB and other network protocols.
- Windows server experience, Active Directory, Group Policy, WSUS, SCCM
- MAC OS X server experience, File Sharing, AFP, & SMB, Apache, MCX, Workgroup Manager and ARD
- Understanding of other CMS support including WordPress and Open Scholar
- Strong utilization of Rsync for data distribution and retention.
- Knowledge of several Frameworks including PEAR, JQuery, Zend and CakePHP
- XML utilization and SOAP
- Knowledge of dual boot system and Bootcamp, VirtualBox, VMWare Fusion, and Parallels
- Knowledge of CSS as used with University's Drupal web servers
- Experience in supporting Microsoft Office, including MS Access (database/table creation and modification as well as forms and reports design) VBA programming experience is a plus.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs, twist bend and work in awkward positions.
- CUPS and lpadmin knowledge preferable
- Cpanel experience preferred
- Experience with R, MatLab, Mathematica, Stata, SPSS and Maple recommended
- Virtualization and virtualized services experience preferred
The final candidate will be required to complete a background check and post-offer pre-employment physical successfully.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us!
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.