Senior Wireless Engineer
Portland Community College
Open Date: 02-24-2017
Location: Capitol Park
Address: 9700 SW Capitol Hwy
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Classified; Level 26, Fulltime, Non-exempt
Starting Salary Range: $4,732/month - $4,833/month
Job Close Date: Apply immediately; this position will close once sufficient qualified applications have been received.
"Senior Wireless Network Engineer" is the working title for the position; the formal title in the PCC job classification system is "Technology Specialist III."
PCC's Senior Wireless Engineer has end to end responsibility for design, security, and implementation of the college's wireless network environment. This includes assessing user and application needs for the wireless network, researching and recommending potential vendor solutions, developing wireless strategies, integrating new services into the existing PCC environment, and supporting new services once they are installed.
Candidate is expected to debug issues, perform maintenance like patching, dispatching tickets, information security audits, and security updates.The Senior Wireless Engineer will also work with other teams at PCC to develop communication and/or training material as part of rolling out new servers and system/service upgrade(s).
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options.
Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Starts at 6.67 hours of Vacation leave per month (additional vacation hours with years of service)
8 hours of Sick Leave per month
24 hours of additional Personal Leave days per year
11 Paid Holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age. Tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits please copy and paste the following link into another browser http://www.pcc.edu/hr/benefits/
1. Leads end to end design and implementation of PCC distribution of wireless network services.
2. Provides solutions by pursuing and resolving interoperability issues with users and appropriate vendors.
3. Investigates new technologies and strategies for PCC's wireless network deployment and integration into the PCC's enterprise wireless infrastructure.
4. Writes requirements documents for evaluation of new hardware and/or software.
5. Coordinates vendor product demonstrations, setup evaluation criteria and development recommendations for purchase of new hardware and/or software.
6. Develops relationships with vendors.
7. Partners with internal and/or external customers to develop requirements for new services and applications to meet the needs of the campus community.
8. Develops security definitions for the operation and management of the enterprise wireless network.
9. Executes data backup and recovery routines on a specified schedule or as requested.
10. Represents PCC at regional and national conferences.
11. Maintains awareness of evolving information technologies through professional publications, outside contacts, and ongoing professional development.
12. Authors Scopes of Work for medium to large sized projects.
13. Leads complex day-to-day operational activities for maintaining the software and hardware environment of PCC's distribution wireless network including patching, backups, configuration, updating and documentation.
14. Leads staff for troubleshooting, preventive maintenance, and corrective actions to ensure the highest availability and overall integrity of of PCC's distribution of wireless network services.
15. Manages and coordinates projects collaboratively with peers, Information Technology, and external customers to meet specific client goals.
16. Provides 2nd and 3rd tier support through a periodic on-call rotation.
17. Consults with Network Operations and users to diagnose and resolve problems in a timely fashion while stressing user service. Analyzes and isolates root cause.
18. Provides solutions to user questions and other queries such as connectivity problems, performance issues, functionality, outages etc.
19. Utilizes available tools to monitor performance and respond appropriately.
20. Leads diagnoses of complex hardware, software and/or network malfunctions in accordance with established practices.
21. Collaborates with other technicians, peers, and Managers to solve various situations.
22. Must be able to perform all duties of a Network Administrator and Network Engineer.
23. Must be able to perform other duties as assigned.
The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that display these qualifications.
High school diploma or equivalent. Associate's degree in Computer Information Systems or related discipline. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Minimum qualifications may vary based on assigned area of responsibility.
Four years of applied work experience in data, or video or voice telecommunications planning, implementing and supporting both wide area and local area network environments, or server management, video streaming, or audio visual media, as related to area of assignment.
Must possess state-of-the art (current) knowledge of data, video streaming, or voice network telecommunications technology such as TCP/IP, Microsoft Windows, and be familiar with hardware and software diagnostics. The above-mentioned qualifications could be demonstrated by possessing applicable certifications.
A valid Oregon Driver's License for operation of a motor vehicle in the State of Oregon.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Additional education beyond the minimum qualifications.
- Additional demonstrated experience beyond the required four years.
Experience working with:
Network Protocols: IPv4/6, OSPF, BGP, DHCP/DNS, 802.11N/AC/ACv2, 802.3ad and 802.3af/at
Network security protocols: IPsec, GRE, VPN, SSL, and TLS
Network hardware: Controller based wireless, thin APs, switches, routers, and data fabric
Network design including: WAN, LAN and VLan, RF, and capacity, SDN
Network capture and analysis tools such as Airwave, wireshark, ExtraHop Networks, APCON, Solarwinds, Splunk
Investigating and recommending new and emerging technologies solutions for complex issues
Troubleshooting enterprise wireless technology and BYOD wireless endpoint devices
Creating documentation and training material for support technicians and end users
Possess ACMP (Aruba Certified Mobility Professional or vendor equivalent)
Possess JNCIA-Junos (Juniper Network Certified Internet Associate-Junos or vendor equivalent)
Additional Posting Information
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed responses to the (2) Required Questions from the Committee - scroll to see questions below - (attach document)*
2. Completed online application
3. Cover Letter (attach document)*
4. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE). Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction. Probationary period will be in accordance with Article 13 of the Classified Agreement. Current Classified employees are encouraged to review Article 15 for salary placement guidelines.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
For full application instructions and position description, click here