Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the lifespan, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Come join us as a Senior Director, National Major Gifts in New York!
The primary purpose of this position is to lead a team in implementing strategies for identifying cultivating, soliciting and closing major and planned gifts to broaden and stabilize the funding base for Autism Speaks, while communicating the organization’s mission, goals, and strategic direction.
- Leads the creation and implementation of an annual Major Gifts and Planned Giving plan, designed to meet priority funding needs; communicate about Autism Speaks activities and advocacy efforts; and meet the needs, objectives, and policies of Autism Speaks.
- Forecasts annual revenue from Major and Planned Giving Donors and prepares and administers budget for Major Gifts.
- Completes a minimum of 12 Major Gifts Meetings and 75 phone calls per month, and leads team in meeting their moves management goals
- Partners with field teams to identify prospects, and solicit and steward support
- Schedules and coordinates strategic receptions or parlor events—with support of Events team—annually, and conducts appropriate follow-up.
- Informs current and potential contributors about Autism Speaks programs and needs; solicits individuals to contribute cash donations and/or planned giving and to make multi-year commitments.
- Ensures that donors who will not be solicited personally are targeted by Major Gifts mailings or Marketing mid-level mailings.
- Works with other departments to develop public education events appropriate for Major Gifts fund-raising activities.
- Works with Program and Communications staff to research content and develop positioning for major donor proposals, correspondence and reports that serve to raise funds while educating donors about the work of Autism Speaks.
- Leads the development of written materials by providing expertise regarding Autism Speaks programs, key messages, sensibilities and ethics.
- Leads the review of prospects (from existing donors as well as potential donors) identified by the Sr. Manager of Research and Prospect Development, to determine individual approaches based on research results, and approves assignment to appropriate Autism Speaks representatives for solicitation.
- Assigns cultivation and solicitation methods on a case-by-case basis, including personal solicitation (telephone or face-to-face; by Development staff, Board, Executive or other) targeted mailings, invitations to Autism Speaks events, and/or to donor parties.
- Works with Chief Relationship Officer to brief and debrief Autism Speaks representatives.
- Works with Chief Relationship Officer to engage the Development Committee to establish a strategic framework for and drive the activity of the Committee.
- Establishes and manages policies, systems and procedures for managing workflow and record keeping for Major in collaboration with the Director of Fundraising Operations and Sr. Manager of Research and Prospect Development, including proper maintenance and analysis of data.
- Appoints, leads, evaluates, and manages major gifts staff.
- Sets clear, attainable objectives for staff, evaluates employee job performance in accordance with established Autism Speaks procedures, and collaborates with staff to establish appropriate development paths