Clinical Business Operations Manager - (170000GM)
University of Maryland, Baltimore is currently seeking a Clinical Business Operations Manager for Department of Neurosurgery. The selected candidate is responsible for supporting the overall business operations of the Department of Neurosurgery and the Business Operations Manager provides direct supervision to professionals or skilled technical employees and functions as an adviser to the unit and administration. Analyzes and resolves business operations issues and needs; interprets policies (e.g., fiscal management, HR, contracts and grants, resource management in defined areas); provides quality control to operations; develops and implements business plans and procedures; and demonstrates solid subject matter knowledge. Exercises judgment within defined procedures and policies to determine appropriate action in matters of significance. Supervises staff to assure accountability and stewardship of campus resources (operational, financial, and human) in compliance with departmental and campus goals and objectives.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Manages staff in the day-to-day operations for clinical area of responsibility and responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, professional development, and performance management of direct reports. Ensures work completion within schedule and constraints.
- Manages the long- and short-term planning to meet business objectives and ensures long- and short-term assignments and projects are achieved. Accountable for success of special short- and long-term projects that increase the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the department. Conduct market analysis, analyze industry trends and recommend business strategies. Carry out these initiatives to ensure division growth and alignment with department/school goals.
- Develops and executes functional standards of operations, policies, procedures, processes, and protocols to ensure compliant, effective, and efficient operations. Implements campus policies, procedures and programs, and ensures compliance. Ensures department or school is informed on University, Federal, State, and Local policies, procedures and regulations by developing training, leading group meetings, and creating informational materials. Authority to deviate from established policies and procedures without prior approval.
- Manages clinical aspect of a division. Oversees the clinical income of its programs, including coordinating payments from different budget sources, patient scheduling and billing, managing profit/loss statements, managed care contracts and other sources, as well as managing the purchasing of supplies and other expenses. Ensures clinical productivity and develops reports to monitor faculty productivity and relative value unit (WRVU) activity. Maintains awareness of advances in medicine, computerized diagnostic and treatment equipment, data processing technology, government regulations, health insurance changes, and financing options. Manages faculty licensure, credentials, and training to ensure clinicians are in compliance with campus, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Independently and in collaboration with university human resources managers, guide supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of human resources policies, regulations, procedures and programs (staff and faculty). Partners with Human Resource Services to resolve complex issues. Assists with setting strategic goals and objectives to continually maintain a staff of well-trained, highly productive, and motivated employees. Recommends skills training, organizational development, and career development training.
- Manages all aspects of the department payroll, such as establishing appropriate checks and balances to ensure payroll and timesheet compliance and accuracy. Generates reports for the general ledger and reconciliation, and oversees the administration of payment. Works closely with central Financial Services-Payroll to ensure proper reconciliation and payroll tax compliance.
- Manage the finances and procurement for department to support strategic initiatives which includes developing, monitoring, analyzing, forecasting, and reporting on the annual budget, as well as managing effort reporting and funding profiles.
- As a subject matter expert, manages the grant process from development, review, and submission through the post-award stage. Identifies, develops, and implements procedures/practices to ensure research administration goals and objectives are met while complying with University, federal, state, and sponsor rules and regulations. Conceptualizes, develops, and provides ongoing training and education to the department or school to increase institutional knowledge related to grants and contracts.
- Responsible for all department facility management of space allocation and layout, communication services, furniture, fixtures and equipment design, and planning of facility expansion and/or modification. Acts as liaison with Facilities Management to ensure efficient and appropriate facility renovations and upgrades.
- Create a cohesive work team that works collaboratively to achieve unit's goals. Oversee the recruitment, performance, and training of team members and continually reviews strengths and weaknesses of staff to maintain a well-trained, highly involved, and motivated team. Handle complaints, resolve conflicts, and active in grievances.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in business administration, healthcare administration, public administration, finance, marketing, accounting, human resources, or other related field.
Experience: Five (5) years of business related experience to position required, with at least two (2) years' experience in at least two of the following: human resources and payroll, finance, facility operations, healthcare management, or research administration.Two (2) years of overall department work coordination or direct supervisory experience.
Knowledge,Skills, and Abilities:
Possesses a thoroughknowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliancewith all requirements/regulations/laws.
Ability to maintain highstandards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends andinfluences. Assumes personalresponsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; andeffectively uses technology. Maintains productivityand uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base. Ability to prioritizeongoing and new projects, as well as conduct research and gather information.Ability to continuously seek quality service and process improvements in orderto support a mission and strategic vision.
Ability toeffectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear andconcise way. Interprets and understandswritten information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbalcues that lead to a deeper understanding.
Ability to schedule, train, supervise, assignwork to, and evaluate staff. Consultationand change management skills. Ability to apply deductive reasoning and drawconclusions in order to solve problems and facilitate decision-makingprocesses. Instructional, training, and teambuilding skills to strengthen andcultivate relationships.
Ability to workcooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful,and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Demonstrate pleasant and positive interactionswith other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers. Reaches compromise and consensus to influenceand negotiate. Remains calm and is able to manage conflict, and works well witha diverse workforce. Possesses an approachable style allows others to be openin sharing thoughts and ideas.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
: Exempt Staff - E1449G
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Medicine - Neurosurgery
: Mar 7, 2017
: Apr 6, 2017, 11:59:00 PM