| POSITION DETAILSThe CUNY Language Immersion Program (CLIP), administered by the University Office of Academic Affairs, is a non-credit remedial college transition English as a Second Language (ESL) program that serves CUNY admitted immigrant students with significant academic English language learning needs. CLIP is one of three multi-campus language and literacy programs serving immigrant pre-college students and is offered in 80 classrooms on nine college campuses serving over 4,000 students a year. CLIP Instructors conduct intensive day and evening classes 25 hours a week. A CUNY Language Immersion Program Professional Development Specialist is needed to join an experienced central team to support campus instruction of college transition ESL students, with a focus on integrating academic literacy skills in sustained, content-based ESL curricula.Reporting to the University Director for Language and Literacy Programs, the CLIP Professional Development Specialist will assist 80 campus-based program instructors and staff members with developing new academic language curricula, lesson sets and instructional resources; managing related multi-campus administrative and instructional activities; and monitoring the successful transition of CLIP students to regular college studies. Moreover, the CLIP Professional Development Specialist will train instructors on various instructional methods via one-on-one consultations, centralized and campus-based seminars, demonstration teaching and meetings; collaborate with other University and campus-based administrators to evaluate professional development needs; create an annual training plan on relevant topics; organize conferences, seminars and peer mentoring initiatives; develop online instructional resources and maintain the program's website.Other key duties include but will not be limited to the following:|
* Assist instructors with implementing instructional strategies related to portfolio assessment, reading instruction and non-academic "college knowledge" learning to help students enter CUNY with a broad range of skills needed to take credit bearing college-level coursework and graduate.
* Create and maintain a print resource library, as well as online WIKIS.
* Maintain awareness of emerging trends in language and literacy education and keep abreast of and contribute to research and professional development offerings.
* Develop persuasive grant proposals to government and private entities to grow and improve the program.
* Foster and maintain connections with other CUNY sectors and with other City-wide educational initiatives for immigrant adults and out-of-school youth.
* May participate in other language and literacy curriculum and professional development projects.QUALIFICATIONSMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:Bachelor's degree and four years' related experience required.OTHER QUALIFICATIONS:The preferred candidate will possess the following experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
* Four years' experience with teaching and training in academic ESL for college transition programs, with a focus on the integration of academic literacies within sustained content-based curricula for immigrant student populations required.
* Experience conducting training and leading curriculum development projects required.
* Advanced degree in a directly related discipline strongly preferred.
* Ability to respond empathetically to instructors' needs, plus strong work ethic, character, and personal integrity to work with the utmost professionalism and confidentiality.
* Strong presentation and group facilitation skills.
* Detail oriented and accurate with strong analytical, research, evaluation, and writing skills.
* Proactive, flexible, and customer focused with strong interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with diverse members of the university community and external constituents.
* Strong organizational and follow-through skills to develop and execute work plans, prioritize work, manage multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
* Computer proficiency using administrative, financial or academic programs, systems or databases.CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
* Administers a College's English as a Second Language (ESL) program.
* Supports the design and delivery of the ESL program to ensure high quality academic development and delivery of language teaching and learning
* Oversees the daily management of ESL courses; may also be involved in other language courses
* Assists with program development, market needs assessment, customer development, and outcome evaluation as well as student recruitment, enrollment, and retention
* Advises students on program requirements
* Prepares analytical and statistical reports for management
* Develops and maintains relationships with various College offices to improve student and faculty services; may perform community outreach to targeted populations
* May recruit and review instructional staff
* May supervise office operations and/or department budget including grants
* Performs related duties as assigned.Job Title Name: Academic ESL Program SpecialistCUNY TITLEHigher Education AssistantFLSAExemptCOMPENSATION AND BENEFITSCOMPENSATIONSalary is commensurate with education, qualifications and experienceBENEFITSCUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.HOW TO APPLYFor full consideration, submit a cover letter and résumé online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu/psp/cnyepprd/GUEST/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action;=A&JobOpeningId;=16449&SiteId;=1&PostingSeq;=1CLOSING DATEMarch 26, 2017JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Managerial/ProfessionalEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* Central Office*Job Title:
* CUNY Language Immersion Program Professional Development Specialist (Academic ESL Program Specialist)*Job ID:
* 16449*Full/Part Time: