Campus Minister for Liturgy (Liturgist)
Posting Number: 20161106S
Position Type: Staff
Recruitment Type: Internal/External Applicants
Work Schedule: FT/12 Month
Department: 701-Campus Ministry
The Campus Minister for Liturgy is responsible for facilitating the worship life of the Villanova University community by coordinating and providing quality liturgical experiences which celebrate and strengthen the journey of faith of students, faculty and staff. As a member of the Center for Worship and Spirituality, the Campus Minister for Liturgy is responsible for the management of Villanova University liturgies (when classes are in session) for Sundays, Holy Days, university-wide liturgies and other liturgies as directed by the Center's Director. This minister would be committed to the holistic development of young adult spirituality and the training of future leaders of the Catholic Church. This Liturgist would develop and oversee liturgical ministry formation as well as the training of the Liturgical Council leadership team. The position requires a flexible work schedule which includes working frequent evenings and weekends.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordination and Administration
- Directs the Villanova University worship program, including the planning of liturgical seasons, sacramental celebrations and the liturgical calendar in collaboration with the Liturgy Team.
-Provides leadership and assistance to the Villanova University Liturgy Team and Liturgical Council and coordinates their various meetings.
- Coordinates all persons involved in liturgical ministries: presiders, Liturgical Council members, lectors, special ministers of the Eucharist, and hospitality ministers. Collaborates with the Director of Pastoral Music and helps facilitate the joint work between Pastoral Musicians and Liturgical Council.
-Prepares and manages the worship budget in consultation with the Director of Worship and Spirituality.
- Provides for periodic evaluation of the quality of the worship celebrations and liturgical ministries.
- Oversees the aesthetic decor and cleanliness of the various sacred spaces on campus, the provision of sacred vessels and vestments, the maintenance of an effective sound system, the purchase of missalettes, homily helps and other resources.
- Serves as member of the Villanova University Campus Ministry Staff. Collaborates with other Campus Ministers to provide assistance or consultation for their worship responsibilities.
-Recruits persons for various liturgical roles, attempts to involve new members from the university community that are of all ages and all diverse university subgroups.
-Coordinates the scheduling of all liturgical ministers.
-Coordinates weekly Scripture reflections based on the Sunday readings for Mass with a special emphasis on inviting presiders and liturgical ministers.
-Collaborates with the Pastor and Parish Staff of St. Thomas of Villanova Parish for funerals, weddings, sacramental preparation, art and environment.
Specific Worship Functions
- Discerns the Villanova University worship and prayer needs and oversees the provision of quality liturgical celebrations and sacramental services.
-Coordinates development of the liturgical spirit of the university and fosters an atmosphere of hospitality and harmony.
- Serves as leader of prayer when appropriate.
- Is visibly present to main Villanova University groups at principal events and is attuned to the living faith and real concerns of student, staff and faculty.
- Initiates the formation and oversees the implementation of Villanova University policies and guidelines concerning liturgy.
- Initiates, motivates, and trains liturgical ministers.
- Provides for the initial and ongoing formation of liturgical ministers as well as Liturgy Team and Liturgical Council.
-Educates members of the Villanova University and serves as university resource of organizations in matters of liturgical understanding, sensitivity, and planning. Makes the final liturgical judgment along with the presider and Director of Worship and Spirituality in matters liturgical.
- Makes information available about opportunities for growth including workshops and programs.
- Keeps abreast of developments in sacramental theology, Canon Law, liturgical practice and archdiocesan policies and guidelines; updates the university on these matters.
- Is involved in ecumenical cluster and archdiocesan networks and fosters good public relations both within and outside the University and Parish.
- Maintains a liturgy library which provides current resources.
Perform additional duties and assists with special projects as assigned.
- Masters degree in Liturgy is required. A Masters degree in Theology or Pastoral Ministry may be considered if applicant has significant experience coordinating worship and the liturgical life of a community.
- Competency in coordinating Roman Catholic liturgical rites.
- Some fluency in current academic research and theological scholarship related to liturgy.
- Competency in theological reflection, Scripture, styles of prayer, group facilitation and formation.
- Knowledge of the psychological and spiritual development of young adults (such as the work of James Fowler, Lawrence Kohlberg, and Sharon Parks).
- Good organizational and reporting skills.
- Flexibility in work schedule, including evening and weekend hours.
- 2-3 years of experience coordinating worship and the liturgical life of a parish or University community is strongly preferred.
Successful candidate may be lay or ordained.
- D.Min. or Ph.D. with an emphasis in liturgy or sacramental theology is preferred.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
The position requires a flexible work schedule which includes working frequent evenings and weekends.
Special Message to Applicants
Please upload two letters of recommendation with application.
Posting Date: 08/16/2016
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled: No
Salary Posting Information: Commensurate with experience.
Salary Band: I
Job Classification: Exempt
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/9585
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency