Join us in building a 21st century library at the heart of research and teaching. Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is home to world renowned faculty leading the way in their fields with state of the art, interdisciplinary research and an emphasis on training the next generation of innovators. The library is highlighted in the university’s strategic plan and we seek engaged professionals who will work collaboratively to develop and lead library services to meet the needs of the university.
We invite applications for a service-oriented, technically skilled professional who thrives in a creative, agile work environment. Candidates for the Engineering Liaison Librarian/Information Scientist (IS) position should have a strong background and/or interest in engineering research, an understanding of the special nuances of the engineering research lifecycle and should be highly motivated to develop collaborative relationships with faculty, staff and students in engineering. The Engineering Liaison Librarian/IS will work collaboratively with other liaison librarians to engage with faculty and students across the College of Engineering and numerous research efforts such as our Scott Energy Center, our General Motors Collaborative Research Lab and our Smart Grid Research Center.
We are especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through their research, teaching and/or service, and have a demonstrated record in working with international and underrepresented minority students.
Under the leadership of the Associate Dean of Libraries and Director of Research and Academic Services, you will:
- Acquire and maintain expertise in information trends in engineering and related disciplines
- Develop innovative services and resources for the engineering research, teaching and learning communities. This may include areas such as open access publishing and reproducible science
- Provide data management consultation and research data services, in collaboration with the libraries’ research data specialist
- Collaborate with faculty to develop information literacy curriculum for undergraduate and graduate students
- Help to build and maintain the libraries’ engineering collections in response to the changing research, teaching and learning needs of faculty and students in the College of Engineering
- Work with library faculty and staff to provide general and engineering reference services to the CMU community
- Provide guidance with research metrics using Scopus, Web of Science, SciVal, Google Scholar, Harzing’s Publish or Perish, Symplectic Elements, Altmetric.com and other tools that may emerge
- Work with vendors to identify, develop, advertise and train on new platforms or services
In addition to providing responsive library services to faculty, students and staff, you will be encouraged and supported in developing your own program of research and scholarship related to information science and librarianship or to aspects of your disciplinary expertise.
You will also participate in governance and projects through various committees and working groups as assigned or elected.As the Engineering Liaison Librarian/IS, you will be a member of the library faculty. To be considered for reappointment or promotion, you will be expected to demonstrate excellence in librarianship and in research or scholarship. For more information, please visit: https://www.cmu.edu/policies/faculty/appointments-librarian-and-archivist.html