Overview of School
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a full-time Third Grade Lead Teacher at the Elementary School campus beginning in August 2017.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission states: “Our exceptional teachers inspire students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future (2011). Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
This position is for a third grade lead teacher. This teacher will report to the Elementary Division Head and will work in close collaboration with the other third grade lead teacher. This is a full time teaching position.
As a third grade lead teacher, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Teach SEL, math, literacy, and humanities lessons weekly.
- Support the social and emotional development of third graders using the Toolbox Project and the RULER approach.
- Collaborate weekly with the entire third grade team, to ensure consistency between the two third grade classes.
- Uphold strong commitment to a balanced literacy approach, which includes spelling instruction and units of study from Lucy Calkins reading and writing program.
- Maintain our math program by following the Bridges and Number Corner curriculum currently in place.
- Coordinate grade level study trips and buddy visits between campuses throughout the year.
- Collaborate with specialist teachers regarding individual behavioral and learning needs for specific students.
- Collaborate weekly with the third grade learning specialist to determine pull-out and push-in support needs for the class.
- Maintain regular communication and contact with parents, including regular digital newsletters.
- Assess students regularly through unit assessments, reading assessments, projects, and class work.
- Write narrative reports two times annually for all students.
- Provide ongoing support and feedback to a full time teaching assistant, who will take on specific classroom responsibilities over the course of the year based on credential program requirements.
The candidate must have:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree and multiple subject teaching credential
- Three or more years teaching experience with elementary-aged students
- Commitment to elementary education and social/emotional development
- Commitment to creating an inclusive classroom community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively
- Ability to effectively communicate with parents
- Willingness to be a team player and take on leadership roles as needed
The ideal candidate should also have:
- Master’s degree in education
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Sense of humor
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commitment to and awareness of anti-bias learning
- Awareness of differentiated learning techniques
- Participation on committees as needed and appropriate
- Ancillary duties include responsibilities that are part of elementary school life, e.g., team and staff meetings, attendance at school functions, and recess duties weekly
- Oversight of a "family" of mixed-grade students once a month
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included.
How to Apply
Send a résumé (including contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Abby Guinn, Elementary School Head