Some students go to college because they want amazing things to happen to them. At Suffolk, we're not that kind of school. Because things don't happen to Suffolk students—Suffolk students make things happen. The Admissions Counselor will help support our Enrollment processes for the College of Arts and Sciences and the Sawyer Business School.
The Admissions Counselor will report to the Director of Undergraduate Admissions, and will work as part of an admissions team responsible for the recruitment and admission of undergraduate students that will maximize the quantity and quality of students enrolled at Suffolk University. The Counselor will be involved in a range of on and off campus recruitment activities including school visits, college fairs, counselor meetings and applicant interviews as well as the review and evaluation of applications.
- Represent the University at college fairs and in secondary schools and community colleges; review freshman and transfer applications; assist with outreach and recruitment programs; other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for reading and evaluating applications for admission using a digital based application system and making admission decisions and ranking for honors or special financial aid merit programs according to broad University parameters requiring use of individual judgment. Questionable cases are referred to the supervisor. The incumbent is responsible for accurate and timely reading and review of applications which number in the hundreds and at times may be up to one thousand during the busy season. Counsels applicants, their families and guidance counselors on Suffolk University's admission policies and procedures.
- Assist the Managing Associate Director with strategic initiatives involving transfer enrollment. They will assist in the coordination and implementation of Transfer On-Spot Decision Days; recruitment programs with community colleges; assist with transfer application review and prepare transfer credit evaluations for accepted students.
- Assists Associate/Assistant Directors by coordinating and implementing applicant yield activities such as Information Sessions, Suffolk Showcase, etc. Assists Associate/Assistant Directors in coordinating admission activities for newly accepted students such as the admission office involvement in advising, retention, orientation and registration activities.
- This position may also require specific background knowledge of Art for the BFA programs at the University.
- Will be assigned other project and liaison work as needed.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability and understanding of the mission of the university's urban location and the unique opportunity this presents for prospective students. They must also have the ability to demonstrate enthusiasm about the University, a strong work ethic, be able to exercise sound judgment, and be skilled at public speaking and writing. Ability to communicate professionally with a variety of different internal and external audiences.
- At least one year experience in recruitment and admission, preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree (Fine Art/BFA or related field preferred); Master's Degree preferred.
- Requires travel as well as evening and weekend work.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Strong time management and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines.
- Strong computer proficiency including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and expertise in using social media to attract and recruit applicants.
- Experience with reading and evaluating application materials using a digital based application system.
- Strong verbal communication skills - ability to speak publicly in front of small and large audiences.
- Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants, families and secondary school counselors.
- Ability to represent Suffolk University professionally, express the value of attending Suffolk and to 'sell' a vision.
- Ability and comfort with inter and intra-continental travel for several weeks at a time, usually in the fall months.
- Ability to work a rigorous schedule and flexible hours.
- Valid drivers' license.
- Access to a personal vehicle.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on group projects.
- Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives.
Working at Suffolk
Suffolk University is a private, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common and we are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, City Hall and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience since 1906. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts.
Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.