The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a South Area Director position within Residence Life.
The South Area Director provides leadership and direction for an on-campus residential area housing approximately 400 students. This position serves as the primary administrator for Cretin and Grace Residence Halls, and various apartment buildings and specialty housing in the middle of campus. The position also supervises two graduate hall directors and undergraduate staff. The Area Director creates a community conducive to academic achievement and personal growth. Responsibilities include staff supervision and training, planning and implementation of student programming, overseeing hall association advising, providing individual attention to students, managing student conduct processes, providing emergency response to on campus situations, and general administration. The Area Director will also be expected to participate in and chair Residence Life and/or Divisional committees and initiatives.
Hiring, Training and Supervision of Residence Life staff:
- Hire graduate and undergraduate staff for specified residence hall areas
- Orientate, train and supervise graduate hall directors, resident advisors, student operations managers, apartment coordinators and night access and desk employees.
- Assign, schedule and evaluate work of staff
Responding to Student Behavioral Issues:
- Act as the hearing officer for student conduct matters regarding Cretin and Grace Residence Halls and residential spaces in the middle of campus.
- Oversee conduct issues, ensuring proper adjudication by residence life staff.
- Serve as a member of the Residence Life on Duty staff providing coverage for residence halls and apartments on the St. Paul campus on select weeks, including evenings and weekends.
Providing Direction for Student Programming and through Hall Association Advising:
- Create a learning environment within the residence environment that supports student growth in all areas of personal and community development.
- Responsible for advising Cretin-Grace Hall Association
- Oversees the advising of all student groups in the assigned residence hall area
- Ensure that all programs planned and implemented in the residence hall area conform to university policy and guidelines.
- Advise other recognized student organizations as needed
Managing and Overseeing General Administration of a Residence Hall Area:
- Coordinate the completion of all administrative tasks associated with the effective and efficient operation of a residence hall area (e.g., night access desks, Room Condition Report management, billing for damages, internal room changes, Room Management System utilization, and other operational tasks as needed).
- Provide accurate and timely data for system reporting of occupancy, work orders, incident reports, and other procedural documentation.
Provide meaningful individual attention to students:
- Provide guidance and support to students seeking assistance in resolving personal and or community-related conflicts
- Refer students to campus and community resources
- Respond to crisis situations involving either individual students or groups of students.
- Build relationships with student family members as appropriate
Participation and leadership in residence life and/or student affairs committees and initiatives:
- Participate on and/or lead one or more leadership teams as a working member
- Provide On-Call Support to the Anderson Student Center (ASC)
The salary for this positoin is $47,476 a year.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.