NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Director of Cancer Center Communications.
The director of communications for the Perlmutter Cancer Center (PCC) is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of a world-class communications program in support of the vision and key strategic initiatives of the Perlmutter Cancer Center. (S)He will lead the development and execution of all PCC communications initiatives, including digital, and ensure that the efforts align with NYU Langones institutional branding and goals. The deliverables will be established in partnership with PCC leadership, with the goal of becoming a top five cancer program in the country. The role requires adept senior level communications skills, as interaction and collaboration with the named donor is expected. This position reports directly to the Institute Director of the PCC with coordination and alignment with NYU Langone Corporate Communications and Marketing.
- Work closely with PCC leadership as a key advisor on all communications issues.
- Manage the key donor relationship as the communications liaison.
- Manage agencies, staff and vendors, as needed, for implementing strategies, including PR/media relations, social media, web (writers, IT support), etc.
- Coordinate all editorial planning across communications and marketing channels to create 360 degree efforts behind key messaging points.
- Responsible for alignment with NYU Langone institutional priorities; closely align communications and develop synergies and efficiencies for editorial content within PCC and NYU Langone.
- Develop communications plan and reporting dashboard for all PCC communications and marketing channels with a focus on reputation, volume driving, and enrollment clinical trials.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders for alignment of messaging and measured goals.
- Create and implement digital content strategy. Working with clinical leadership and editor of the NYU Langone website, create, refresh and update content to reflect the expertise and differentiation of the PCC.
- Create a social media strategy for the PCC to engage the community and promote clinical trials.
- Coordinate plans and implementation with Corporate Communications and Marketing to leverage synergies and avoid cannibalization across business lines.
- Create and implement a plan to promote clinical trials both internally and externally to both physicians and patients, to increase visibility and enrollment of PCCs clinical trials portfolio.
- Serve as the liaison between the Office of Communications and Marketing and PCC faculty regarding media and publication opportunities.
- In collaboration with the AVP of Marketing and other leadership, create PCC advertising campaigns for NYULMC to enhance overall reputation and brand recall for the PCC.
- Ensure brand compliance for PCC across organization.
- Develop marketing collateral, in both traditional and digital formats as needed, to support institutional PCC messaging, as well as programmatic messaging, for key strategic programs.
- Develop new marketing channels to grow reputation on volume, highlighting program enhancements such as new recruits, etc.
- To qualify you must have a Masters degree required, preferably MBA or masters in communications.
- Ten to fifteen years of experience communications in a hospital, medical center, or related agency or corporate communications department.
- Excellent writing skills, including web writing. Science/medical writing experience a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills, demonstrating ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Professional presence and demeanor.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong relationship building and management skills.
- Superior project management skills.
- Ability to manage cross functional teams.
- Ability to develop effective messages aligned with goals of the organizations.
- Creative self-starter, proactive, able to juggle multiple projects, follow through to completion and a problem-solver.
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment.
- MBA or masters degree in Science, journalism preferred.
- Experience in a complex academic medical center.
- Strategic digital and traditional communications planning experience for large organizations.
- Minimum 10-15 years communications experience for large, complex organization, healthcare industry experience preferred.
- PR/communications/digital agency experience a plus alternatively, strong agency management experience.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.