Friends of the Parks is a 41-year-old environmental organization whose mission is to preserve, protect, improve, and promote the use of Chicago’s parks and open spaces for the benefit of all residents and visitors. Current programs include Policy and Advocacy, Environmental Education, Neighborhood Parks, and Stewardship. The Operations Manager is a key part of the team and supports the efficient functioning of the office and all programs. The Office Manager reports directly to the Executive Director but will also work closely with the Deputy Director and collaborate with and support program staff.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the office including supply management, equipment maintenance, overhead, insurance and service contracts.
- Ensure organization and maintenance of key electronic and hard copy files to facilitate efficient office functioning and in accordance with appropriate records retention policies and privacy and security requirements.
- With the support of IT consultant, ensure adequate information technology support for general organization needs and specific staff needs, including but not limited to conducting periodic assessment of hardware, software, and system needs and organizational technology policies and providing individual support to staff and volunteers to ensure effective and efficient IT use, as needed.
- Support creation and distribution of organizational fundraising, membership, and communication materials.
- Ensure a neat, clean, orderly, and accessible office which gives the best possible first impression and welcome to office visitors and facilitates the smooth work flow and team functioning of staff, Board, and volunteers.
- Support the executive director and Board treasurer in ensuring and carrying out best practices and timeliness in bookkeeping and financial management operations, including policies and procedures to safeguard against theft, fraud, and/or mismanagement.
- Lead development of meeting agendas in coordination with Finance Committee chairperson and executive director and prepare in a timely fashion all required financial reports for Finance Committee, Board, and Executive Committee meetings.
- With executive director, co-staff board Finance Committee meetings.
- Manage the annual audit process and all required government report filings.
- Support the executive director and deputy director in development, monitoring, and reporting related to the annual organizational budget, program budgets, and any project and/or grant-specific budgets.
- Coordinate with the director of neighborhood parks to ensure the smooth and high standards of functioning of the fiscal sponsorship program for park partners.
- Support efficient board functioning through coordination, support, and follow-up for all Board, Executive Committee (and Advisory Board and Associate Board, when relevant) meetings and assigned committees.
- Support new board member (and Advisory Board and Associate Board, when relevant) recruitment and orientation.
- Carry out the logistical aspect of all organizational special events (including but not limited to fundraisers, friendraisers, conferences, Earth Day, LATE Ride, park tours, lectures, etc., as appropriate) in support of the deputy director.
- Co-staff with the deputy director any special events-related committees of the Board of Directors.
- In collaboration with the deputy director, coordinate with fundraising, membership, communications, and program staff to ensure that each special event addresses and successfully accomplishes all organizational goals established for each event, as established.
- Support program staff in coordinating and participating in corporate and community park clean-up service days.
- Ensure appropriate staffing and volunteer support for all FOTP events, including communicating and coordinating with other staff to identify support needs and potential resources.
- Ensure all payroll, time sheet tracking, personnel, and benefits functions, including mechanisms to ensure regular and adequate communication with and tools for staff to promote both a positive work and team environment and accountability to procedures.
- Support executive director to ensure an annual staff performance appraisal process, including creation, distribution, training on, and accountability to appropriate evaluation tools for staff, supervisors, and board, as appropriate.
- Work with executive director to create and lead staff on-boarding and exit plans, including but not limited to high-touch new hire/volunteer orientation and training and integration into staff and/or volunteer team, as appropriate.
- Work with executive director to develop, maintain, and lead a volunteer and internship program that takes into account specific and distinct needs for one-time or periodic special events, office, stewardship, and other program support to ensure organizational goals.
- With executive director, co-staff the board Human Resources Committee and support Board oversight and periodic review of relevant policies and procedures.
Position will remain open until filled.