Health Alliance Plan (HAP) in Detroit, Michigan has an opportunity for a Senior Vice President-Chief Operating Officer reporting directly to HAP's President & Chief Executive Officer to join the team.
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for the efficient operational management of Health Alliance Plan (HAP) and its subsidiaries. Working closely with the Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer and Senior Vice President and Chief Financial officer, the Chief Operating Officer has accountability for the day to day operations of HAP and its subsidiaries. Total expense budget is $115M with 640 FTE's. The COO will work collaboratively with Henry Ford Health System divisional and system-wide leaders.
Provides strategic leadership to achieve operating results that meet or exceed organizational goals and objectives. Provides oversight of major corporate-wide projects/initiatives and implements operational aspects organizational transformation. Aligns and implements business processes throughout the company to optimize effectiveness and efficiency necessary to meet corporate objectives. Must provide inspiring, creative leadership in the restructuring of the delivery and financing of health care services in southeast Michigan to significantly lower costs while improving quality and access, as a model in the region and nationally. Works closely with the President & CEO on key issues as well as policy and Board-related matters facing the organization. Represent HAP in various HFHS and external forums/activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- As a member of the Senior Leadership team, is responsible for operational performance.
- Oversees the development, prioritization and execution of the yearly Corporate Strategic Initiative plan.
- Provides oversight of major corporate-wide projects/initiatives inclusive of process improvement, focused on operational efficiency as well as cultural transformation initiatives.
- Provides strategic leadership of the following departments: Customer Service, Enrollment & Billing, Claims, Information Technology, Business Transformation (PMO, Performance Improvement, System Training, Facilities). Selects and continually develops an operational leadership team that achieves HAP’s strategic and operational objectives through efficient and compliant processes.
- Responsible for the creation of execution successful customer satisfaction strategies and objectives, assuring continual improvement of customer satisfaction ratings. Develops and maintains external relationships with providers, employers and other organizations for the purpose of member retention, growth and service excellence.
- Assures leadership partners with key customers to provide customer service excellence, metrics driven accountability and timely problem resolution. Leads operational functions and processes to devise qualitative and quantitative improvements in cost and resource allocation.
- In partnership with the Chief Financial Officer, reviews HAP’s performance against administrative benchmarks (i.e., Sherlock), and leads efforts to ensure HAP achieves benchmark performance. Focuses on cost management initiatives and programs to improve financial performance.
- Responsible for long range and state-of-the-art information system plans and technologies to support HAP business strategies and objectives.
- Collaborates with Human Resources to develop and complete an assessment of staff core competencies as part of an effort to attract, retain and develop top talent. Develops an ongoing plan to fill skill gaps, including but not limited to training, cross training, reassigning roles, employee engagement scores, etc. for personal development. Establishes annual employee performance goals and developmental plans for all direct reports and their respective teams. Monitors progress on a regular basis ensuring that morale and productivity of employees is at the highest possible level.
- Oversees the negotiations process of the clerical bargaining unit in collaboration with Human Resources.
- Provides leadership and expertise in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and other such efforts that will enhance HAP position in a consolidating market.
- Collaborates with Henry Ford Health System (HFHS) leadership on key objectives and system-wide programs. Effectively represents HAP interests and relationships with the Henry Ford Medical Group, HFHS provider operations, and other providers of services to HAP members. This includes leading strategies to create expanded overlap of members receiving care from HFHS.
- Serves as Senior Staff Liaison to the Member Services Committee of the HAP Board of Directors.
- Represents HAP on various external boards and committees to lead and support the health of the community and grow strong relationships with key health care partners and customers in the region.