Overview of School
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a part-time Drama Teacher at the Elementary School campus beginning in August 2017. This position is a 25% position, with weekly classes Tuesdays from 8am-4pm and 10 days full time in December in order to support our Winter Performance.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, co-ed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission states: “Our exceptional teachers inspire students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future (2011). Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
This position is for a part-time drama teacher. This teacher will report to the Elementary Division Head and will work in close collaboration with the music teacher and classroom teachers.
- Teach scheduled drama classes weekly to 2nd-4th graders for one trimester per grade.
- Support the end of trimester drama classes with a grade level class play production, which is to be determined in partnership with classroom teachers based on curriculum at that grade level.
- Collaborate in fall with the elementary faculty and the music teacher in order to support the annual all-school Winter Performance.
- Integrate use of our social emotional learning programs, the Toolbox Project and RULER, in order to ensure tone and behavioral expectation consistency with other classes.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers regarding individual behavioral and learning needs for specific students.
- Maintain communication and contact with parents, especially as class plays draw near each trimester.
- Write narrative reports annually for drama students.
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive.
How to Apply
Send a résumé (including contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Abby Guinn, Elementary School Head