Job Title: Director, Finance and Operations
Job Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Memphis Music Initiative (MMI) invests in youth, local communities and Memphis’ musical legacy by broadening and strengthening existing music engagement offerings in and out of schools and supporting youth-centered, community-based music spaces. Our approach is three tiered. Through various unique interventions, MMI seeks to: 1) sustain existing in-school music education and expand instruction through partnerships with local musicians; 2) expand high-quality, out-of-school time school programs to reach more youth and remove barriers to youth engagement and participation; 3) support organizations that are providing music engagement enhance their sustainability and scale high quality programming.
MMI is seeking an experienced Director of Finance and Operations to build and develop state of the art processes, sound internal controls, optimal fiscal policies and operational best practices. The Director, Finance and Operations, will be responsible for providing leadership of the accounting and operations processes in a dynamic, collaborative, and mission-based environment. The ideal candidate will also be responsible for human resource systems and general business operations and ensure proper level of transparency into the above referenced workstreams.
The Director, Finance and Operations will be detail-oriented and have a strategic approach to systems implementation. The ideal candidate is a self-directed, innovative thinker that can embrace MMI’s unique culture and bring value added competencies to an organization in its startup phase. The right candidate will thrive in a culture that understands unrelenting advocacy for poor black and Latino youth.
The successful candidate will supervise one finance manager and will report to the Chief Operations and Strategy Officer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director, Finance and Operations will perform the following and other duties as assigned:
Finance and Fiscal Reporting
- Create and manage organization’s annual budget in collaboration with board, staff, funders and executive director.
- Provide leadership and supervision over the organization’s financial infrastructure including policies, accounts payables, accounts receivable, G/L, and payroll.
- Create an internal control and fiscal framework that promotes optimal organizational performance that is compliant with MMI’s authority matrix
- Maintain both cash and accrual based financial report and forecasts
- Manage the month-end close process (monthly P&L, budget vs. actual analysis, balance sheet and cash flow statements)
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports for MMI’s Board of Directors and other key stakeholders
- Oversee finance functions of MMI Finance Manager, including:
- accounts receivables and accounts payable
- grant award accounting within revenue recognition policy guidelines
- banking functions, including cash account reconciliations and cash transfer requests
- regulatory reporting
- payroll management.
Accounting, Audit, and Tax Return
- Oversee the completion of financial statements
- Manage the annual external audit process which includes being the central point of contact for auditors, responding to audit and document requests
- Ensure timely and accurate filing of federal and state tax returns, including preparation of schedules and reconciliations
- Implement (and refine, as needed) accounting policies and procedures, including all travel and expense reimbursement polices
- Ensure accounting records adhere to GAAP and regulatory requirements
- Oversee preparation of journal entries, and supporting schedules monthly for accrued expenses, expense allocations, etc.
- Provide ongoing strategic evaluation and recommendations to the Chief Operations and Strategy Officer for improving organizational effectiveness
- Oversee human resource functions including payroll, new employee on-boarding, compensation, benefits management, and legal compliance
- Develop and update human resource policies and strategies in collaboration with the MMI’s senior leadership team
- Direct management of operations, including management of facilities and property, including renovation of office space
- Oversee facilities management; work with building management and maintenance to trouble shoot any issues
- Manage relations with vendors; resource women and minority owned vendors and business partners
- Manage IT including relationships with outsourced IT services company, purchase of new equipment
- Nonprofit financial management experience is required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required
- Licensed CPA strongly preferred
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP
- High attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software, including QuickBooks
- Strong interpersonal communications skills; ability to communicate policies and financial concepts to non-finance managers
- Strong collaboration skills; ability to create and maintain cross-functional teams
- Flexible nature and ability to work under pressure and manage shifting priorities under competing deadlines
- Commitment and enthusiasm for the mission of MMI
- Comfortable working with people of diverse backgrounds
- At least 10 years of experience required with a minimum of 5 years non-profit accounting experience
- Ability to write policies and procedures and document work processes
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com; no additional candidates will be considered after March 10, 2017.