NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Health Information Management Representative.
This position is responsible for performing and coordinating activities relating to the operations of the Health Information Management Department.
- Maintains contact with sections in the department and other NYUMC departments under minimal supervision. Plans and coordinates interrelated activities effectively and efficiently according to schedule. Schedules meetings and conference calls, and coordinates projects and the HIM department operations. Attends meetings and participates on committees, as required; prepares minutes as required.
- Assists the HIM Department management team with collection of data, review and analysis of data to satisfy the projects requirements. Performs monitoring of multiple systems queues and reports, recommends steps and updates, and summarizes data and statistics for the department. Obtains appropriate data sufficient to satisfy the project requirements. Utilizes appropriate sources to complete the assignment. Submits data to the HIM Director, Assistant Director or HIM Systems Manager.
- Assists HIM Managers with ongoing projects related to management of patient identity, EMR reviews, documentation audits, documentation scanning, demographic and clinical information correction processes in electronic systems, and clinical documentation amendments.
- Assists HIM Systems Manager with planning and implementation of the HIM Systems and processes including document imaging, release of information, record deficiency tracking, dictation and transcription, birth and death registry. Performs systems testing to ensure HIM systems operate appropriately, provides support and troubleshooting.
- Coordinates and monitors completion of assignments by HIM department staff. Assist with assessment of employees skills, abilities and performance. Makes recommendations and provides feedback for personnel coverage, needs for in-service and process improvement. Provides on-going guidance and training to the staff. Monitors assignments to ensure neatness, accuracy, and timely completion. Ensures that tasks are completed in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Trains employees effectively in the procedures of the department and pertinent Medical Center policies. Offers continuing guidance and assistance to employees on work activities, procedures, and performance-related issues as appropriate. Ensures that the managers are kept aware of the performance of each employee on an ongoing basis. Keeps managers apprised of situations which may require disciplinary action.
- Orders and maintains an inventory of supplies for the department when necessary. Orders the correct type of supply based on managers instructions and/or past practice; initiates follow-up with Vendors as needed. Contacts the service/maintenance company for needed repairs and makes suggestions for software/hardware enhancements. Arranges for the repair/removal of malfunctioning equipment according to the managers instructions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of academic and experience background in Health Information Management, Information Technology or related field.
- Knowledge of computer systems, word processing, database and spreadsheets.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a Health Information Management Department at Acute Care Hospital.
- Strong computer skills, proficiency in EMR systems, experience with Epic HIM modules.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Understanding of documentation requirements in accordance with The Joint Commission standards and NYS DOH Rules and Regulations.
- RHIT or RHIA credentials.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.