Job Description: The Assistant Dean plays a critical role in cultivating an inclusive and welcoming campus community by providing developmental advising and support services to Brown University undergraduate and graduate students. The Assistant Dean manages individual student cases that include medical leaves, readmissions, reduced course loads, students in crisis, missing students, and other student emergencies. The Assistant Dean also serves in the Administrator on Call (AOC) and Dean of the Day rotations, offering support to students in crisis as well as coordinating with other offices to ensure appropriate resources are deployed. The Assistant Dean actively promotes diversity and social justice through critical conversations, compassionate care, and strategic outreach efforts to various student populations (e.g., first-generation, undocumented and DACA students, LGBTQ students).
- Masterâ??s degree in Student Affairs, Education, Social Work, or related field required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience at an educational institution required. Residential college or university preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, colleagues, and families to advise and support undergraduate, graduate, and medical students through difficult and complicated situations.
- Experience in managing crises effectively and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated commitment and success working in a multicultural environment with a critical understanding of social justice issues in both student and workplace settings.
- Demonstrated sound judgement and the ability to make difficult and timely decisions with integrity.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to utilize technology and institutional databases in the documentation of records and support of students.
- Flexibility to evolve with a dynamic student affairs environment.
- Experience with assessment strategies used within a student affairs program.
Background Check: Criminal and education verification
Recruiting Start Date:2017-02-21-08:00
Job Posting Title:Assistant Dean of Students
Department:Campus Life & Student Services
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.