Under the direction of the Director of Security, responsible for providing a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, employees, and medical staff. Protect and provide safe and secure buildings, grounds, and parking lots. Also responsible for performing job duties in accordance with the policies and philosophy of SSM Healthcare.
- Provides a secure and safe environment that protects patients, visitors, and staff from harm and reasonable fear of harm; restrain patients during unusual and combative circumstances in cooperation with nursing staff and other hospital personnel; maintains an equitable level of order, control, and safety on the hospital grounds.
- Protects personal and hospital property from theft, misuse and vandalism by performing security checks and rounding of the hospital, parking ramps, exterior campus, and off campus areas.
- Completes accurate and detailed shift reports; Observes and reports any security concerns/assessments that are observed. Completes incident report and forwards to appropriate individual(s).
- Provides assistance during special emergencies (disasters, fire alarms, active shooters, bomb threats, abductions, medical emergencies, etc.) when called upon by Administration and/or others to perform priority duties.
- Ensures visitor and employee safety by monitoring closed circuit television cameras of hospital common areas, parking ramps, stairwells, lobbies, and walkways from Security posts; Review, save and store video for replay of unusual circumstances.
- Perform parking enforcement in the hospital parking ramps in accordance with the hospital policies, patrol the staff parking ramp to ensure staff and patient safety, issues visitor badges to those entering and remaining through the night; issue hospital identification badges for hospital employees and contractors.
- Drive hospital vehicle(s) such as ambulances, valeted vehicles, etc. on hospital business as directed.
- Safely drives and operates hospital ambulances transporting physician, nurse and Neonatal or Pediatric intensive care patients to and from hospitals within assigned region. Stays current with all laws and regulation pertaining ambulance record documentation.
- Transports helicopter crew and patient from the hospital's helipad to their destinations in the hospital; Assists in the retrieval of valeted vehicles.
- Remove the deceased from patient rooms to the hospital morgue; assist with removing the deceased from the hospital.
- Locate, capture, and appropriately remove any wild animal (e.g. bats) and stray domestic (e.g. dogs and cats) found in and around the building.
High School graduate or equivalent (GED) with one year of additional training in police science, law enforcement, criminal justice, or directly related training.
Must possess a valid WI driver's license and have an acceptable driving record to operate company vehicle(s).
Minimum of 2 years relevant experience in security work or similarly related field of work.
New hires must obtain the following within the first year of employment (St. Mary's Hospital will provide the training): Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for Health Care Provider, Defense and Arrest Tactics (DAAT), Emergency Vehicle Operation (EVOC) and/or Coaching Emergency Vehicle Operation (CEVO) for Ambulance Operation, nonviolent crisis prevention intervention course [Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) certification] , bio-hazardous and radiation/hazardous materials, and fire extinguisher training; receive and maintain training in verbal de-escalation techniques, applying restraints, to include handcuffs, soft-restraints, and leather restraints.
The ability to use a radio, video equipment, access control system, incident report writing software and protective devices, pepper gel and Tasers if required.
Effective oral and written communication skills are required.
Health Care Experience Preferred.
Should be familiar with municipal, city, and state laws.
About SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital:
St. Mary's is a 440-bed tertiary referral hospital offering inpatient and outpatient treatment and diagnostic services in primary care and nearly all specialties. Medical/surgical areas of special focus include the Family Birth Center, pediatrics, Neuroscience Center, geriatrics, orthopedics, emergency services and more. St. Mary's is affiliated with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine's three-year family practice residency program.