The EIB, the European Union's bank, is seeking to recruit for its Operations Directorate (OPS) - Spain, Portugal Department (IBERIA), Public Sector - Portugal - (IBERIA/3-PUB SEC (PT), at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
(Senior) Loan Officer
This is a full time position at grade 5/6
The term of this contract will be 4 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs,
with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The loan officer will identify, appraise, negotiate and monitor lending operations in Portugal according to EIB policies and procedures and with the objective to contribute to EU Policy goals.
Reports to the Head of Division and cooperates closely with colleagues working in the region and in the local office.
Project origination process:
- Track developments and monitor his/her target market, develop and maintain a network of private and public promoters, borrowers and financial institutions, screen proposals and identify lending opportunities that best meet COP objectives
- Evaluate, at an early stage, the quality of potential projects and their chance of success, including where appropriate consultation with Projects (PJ), Risk Management (RM) and Legal (JU), in order to improve the effectiveness of the appraisal process
- Lead and coordinate the lending process in cooperation with other directorates also under the concept of Global Relationship Management
- Structure loan proposals, evaluate their feasibility, analyse project and financial risks, draft reports and lending proposals in cooperation with the appraisal team
Negotiation of contracts:
- Negotiate terms and conditions of loan and other project documentation with promoters and other counterparts, in coordination with Legal (JU), Risk Management (RM), and Projects (PJ)
- Organise contract signatures and assist, as applicable, in the disbursement process in cooperation with the appraisal team
- According to prevailing rules and procedures, participate in the follow-up and possible re-negotiation of existing transactions in close cooperation with other services of the Bank, aiming to preserve credit quality in compliance with the standards and decisions of the Bank while maintaining customer relationships
Optimisation of operating tools and working methods:
- Innovate and suggest improvements to existing tools, systems and products in response to changes in the operational framework
- Ensure correct input of data relating to own area of activity into the management information system in order to contribute to the continuous improvement of working methods and development of products
- Share his/her own information and experience in the management of lending operations with other members of the team in order to enlarge the knowledge and competencies of the team
Value added, cost management and return on operations:
- Ensure the quality and overall value added of lending operations; make sure that the financial terms set by the Bank match the risk profile and the type of operation, in order to protect the Bank's interest and ensure that operations are as cost efficient as possible in the given context and provide for the risk on an overall basis
- University degree, preferably in Finance/Economics
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in the financial sector, preferably in long term lending
- Expertise in financial analysis and cash flow modelling as well as experience in credit risk assessment
- Knowledge of standard computer tools
- Very good knowledge of English or French (*) and a good knowledge of the other language. Good knowledge of Portuguese would be a preference factor.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation's needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation's mission, policies and rules.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages.
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability.