Founded in 1996, Pro Bono Institute (PBI) is a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit organization. With an unparalleled depth of knowledge, resource, and expertise, PBI is the respected resource for all things pro bono in the legal profession. PBI does not provide direct legal services. Rather, we are a catalyst, administering projects that support, guide, and inspire legal institutions to enhance access to justice, specifically through the Law Firm Pro Bono Project and the Corporate Pro Bono (CPBO) Project.
PBI’s mission is to explore and identify new approaches to and resources for the provision of legal services to the poor, disadvantaged, and other individuals or groups unable to secure legal assistance to address critical problems. We do so by supporting, enhancing, and transforming the pro bono efforts of our audience, which includes major law firms, in-house corporate legal departments, and public interest organizations in the U.S. and around the world.
PBI seeks a creative, entrepreneurial, and dynamic professional to fill the position of Director of Communications. Reporting to the President/CEO and COO, the Director of Communications will work with senior leaders and PBI colleagues to develop, direct and implement a comprehensive, integrated strategy for all PBI communications and branding, including print, online and website; public relations initiatives; and outreach to Members, stakeholders and other constituencies. Through the development of content that articulates PBI’s mission, value and benefits of its unique programs, and products and services, s/he, with the assistance of a Communications Associate, will promote and strengthen PBI’s brand identity.
- Develop, implement and evaluate an annual communications plan, in collaboration with PBI’s senior staff, to advance PBI’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and services, and increase its visibility.
- Directly write, edit, manage and produce print and online communications and collateral materials for internal and external audiences and events, including brochures, Annual Conference, Annual Dinner and other event collateral materials, annual reports, PowerPoint presentations, marketing emails, speeches and talking points, among other things.
- Strengthen PBI’s presence as a respected source with the mainstream and industry media through outreach, and drafting and editing content.
- Lead the generation of online content that engages audiences and leads to measurable action.
- Manage online tools such as PBI’s blog, webinars, podcasts, videos and social media to creatively and effectively communicate and multipurpose PBI messages, and ensure coordination with CPBO web site, as necessary.
- Coordinate and implement maintenance of PBI and CPBO’s websites, and ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly and updated weekly.
- Maintain and update a robust “news” section of the website that includes press releases, links to online coverage of PBI and its programs, and video and transcripts of speeches, among other substantive materials.
- Ensure that PBI program content is readily accessible in accordance with internal distribution strategies and supports the priorities of the Law Firm Pro Bono Project, the Corporate Pro Bono Project, and event management.
- Create marketing timelines and messaging around significant initiatives and events, including all Projects’ publications, the Annual Conference and Annual Dinner, webinars, and Esther F. Lardent Leadership Series events.
- Manage PBI’s email and publications calendars, to include newsletters, blog, surveys, reports, monographs and other publications, annual reports, fundraising materials, membership recruitment, event materials, and press releases, among other items, for the most efficient and effective coordination and benefit.
- Work closely with Project teams to coordinate marketing and distribution of innovative content to achieve PBI’s strategic objectives, including Law Firm Challenge® and Corporate Challenge®
- Support stewardship to members and other stakeholders and outreach to potential donors.
- Ensure that all communications materials conform to PBI brand and style guidelines and maintain a consistent look and feel.
- Regularly track and measure the level of engagement though analytical dashboards, and revise tactics as necessary to enhance the benefit to PBI.