Qualifications and Characteristics:
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in social work, psychology, or related field required
- Experience: Prefer at least 2 years experience in domestic violence services, community organization, social services or advocacy. Experience working with survivors of trauma and facilitating group services strongly preferred.
- Training: 40-hour Domestic Violence training preferred but required at first opportunity
- Service Delivery: Must be able to respond appropriately in varied situations and be able to function with minimal supervision.
- Professional Approach: Demonstrates and empathic, non-judgmental, service-oriented attitude in work with clients. Recognizes clients as the experts of their own lives; partners with clients to recognize and build upon their strengths. Demonstrates an understanding of the impact of trauma on individuals and families. Familiarity/experience with short-term interventions (e.g. solution-focused; crisis intervention; trauma-focused) preferred.
- Personal: Demonstrates self-awareness, insight and commitment to ongoing professional growth. Values and practices respectful, non-violent communication. Models healthy boundaries and good self-care with clients and coworkers. Demonstrate knowledge and seek personal growth in working with diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Technical: Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates understanding and effectiveness in working with diverse populations.
- Leadership: Demonstrates professionalism, flexibility and good judgment. Responds appropriately in varied situations and is able to function independently. Demonstrates professionalism, flexibility, and good judgment. Demonstrates commitment to teamwork and collaborative decision-making. Demonstrates ability to problem solve individually and with a team to effectively deliver service.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required for this position. Demonstrates effectiveness working with diverse populations.
- Must have privately owned vehicle, valid driver’s license, good driving record, and liability insurance. Position requires travel between sites to provide services.
- Bilingual/Bicultural in Spanish/English is REQUIRED.
- Must be flexible with schedule in order to meet client needs; Position requires evening and weekend availability.
- Must be able to operate general office equipment and computer.
Located in Wheaton, Illinois, Family Shelter Service offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision, flexible work schedule and the opportunity to participate in the 403(b) retirement program.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and your resume to: email@example.com
For more information about Family Shelter Service visit our website at: www.familyshelterservice.org
Family Shelter Service is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.