SAFE HOME ADVOCATE
Family Shelter Service, an agency providing help and hope for victims of domestic violence and their children for 40 years, is looking to hire an experienced Safe Home Advocate.
This part time (up to 16 hours/week) position is responsible for providing short-term crisis intervention services to adult and child clients in the residential facilities within our agency. The Safe Home Advocate will work alongside the client and other advocates to foster a safe living environment by providing formal and informal relationship building and life skills programming.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct services to victims of domestic abuse and their children including crisis intervention, safety planning, domestic violence supportive services, life skills, relationship building, advocacy, parenting support, information, and referrals.
- Hotline: Assess and complete intake and request for residential services to those seeking to stay in our residential facility as well as back up when necessary.
- Provide a warm welcome to clients entering the residential facility, provide a tour, arrange for client’s accommodations in shelter, provide basic personal needs, etc.
- Model and actively promote positive, nurturing interactions between adults and children in shelter.
- Interactions may be formal or informal and individual or in group settings.
- Facilitate cooperative living, peer support, and residents’ participation in shelter programming.
- Will meet with client within the first 48 hours of stay to address adjustment to shelter, immediate needs, immediate safety concerns, and immediate referrals.
- Maintain a safe environment by providing immediate interventions, as appropriate, including conflict resolution/mediation. Also, perform routine checks to ensure the safety, health and security of the building.
- Attend mandatory group supervision and program/agency meetings.
- Participate in a team oriented approach by collaborating with other programs and departmental staff as needed as well as shift change reports.
- Complete paperwork in a timely manner, including case notes and other documentation needed for a client’s file.
- Provides services in accordance with the Illinois Certified Domestic Violence code of ethics.
- Directly supervised by the Safe Home Coordinator, under the direction of the Director of Safer Living Program.
- Partners directly and ongoing with Safe Adults Advocates and Safe Children Advocates, and may collaborate with other departments as needed.
- Works with agency interns as needed.
- Maintains working knowledge of community resources.