NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Secretary.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the pre-registration and scheduling of patients, main or GI front desk coverage and associated duties; Scanning and indexing of patient records
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Accepts all deliveries and sorts and distributes mail. Responsible for filing (patient's, referrals and fetal echo folders). Scans and indexes patient records following each visit.
- Keeps waiting room and front desk clean and organized. Maintains front desk supply inventory/equipments.
- Photocopies billing receipts for submission to the Hospital and the outside billing agency that handles professional billing.
- Notifies doctors when patients are ready. Appointment confirmations.
- Prints schedules for the whole division.
- Prepares paperwork/chart/HIPAA.
- Basic demographic registration of patients. Updates demographic information for follow up patients. Pre-registration in and scheduling.
- Covers the main or GI front desk, answers the incoming calls, and greets patients.
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Complies with regulatory requirements (i.e. JCAHO) appropriate for position.
- Experience and competency with varied computer hardware and software, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, scheduling, communications and presentation applications.
- Knowledge of insurance companies admission procedures and policies to complete pre-authorization requirements.
- Knowledge of hospital procedures to obtain laboratory and imaging information.
- Skill in communicating with patients, families, physicians, nurses, staff and peers with diplomacy and tact.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to handle matters of highly confidential and sensitive nature.
- Ability to recognize and identify problems, recognize implications and propose alternative solutions
AAS or Commercial/Secretarial School Diploma
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.