NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Supervisor-Building Services.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for supervising patient transport personnel to ensure employees demonstrate competency in patient transport as it relates to: Patient safety (safe handling of patients, double identification, ticket to ride, safety inspection of transportation equipment); Knowledge and use of the automated patient dispatch system; Knowledge and use of service elevators to include efficient vertical transport and response to critical calls; Dispatcher knowledge of automated patient transportation system to include responding to patient transport and elevator calls.
- Maintains safety and sanitary standards in areas of responsibilities.
- Prepares daily reports and informs his/her supervisor or incidents that may or may not be job related. Tours each area of responsibility, covering each assigned area to observe all service line functions with the Building Services Department to include; Patient Transport, Cleaning, and Linen to determine compliance with instructions and quality of work. Inspects each area to ensure that all safety, health, and sanitation regulations are met in accordance with Federal, City, and State regulations. Ensures that cleaning staff follows proper policies and protocol as written in departmental policies and procedures manual.
- Participates in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering services and maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions. Reports daily the activities of all employees under his/her supervision; also, any incidents that have occurred. Composes related and required information in a neat and well written manner utilizing department forms whenever applicable.
- Utilizes audit result, quality improvement reports and accident reports to improve the quality of service. Evaluates practices and identifies areas where decrease in transportation time can be made. Arranges work to reduce or avoid overtime. Uses supplies efficiently. Uses equipment efficiently and ensures that equipment is in good working condition, is cleaned and stored in a secure area.
- Participates in developing, planning and implementing new programs, including the development of related procedures/processes. Communicates the need for new policies and procedures to their supervisor in a timely manner. Submits reports/plans, which are requested by superiors, on time. Develops short and long range plans for the accomplishment of goals; addresses all contingencies in a plan. Communicates the reason for a delay in accomplishing a plan to the supervisor within a reasonable time.
- Develops and encourages a program of staff development. Plans the training and development of staff in advance of implementation. Trains staff members effectively and maintains detailed records of performance and training status or probationary employees. Ensures that policies and procedures are followed and that staff awareness to said policies is understood and being implemented.
- Evaluates and documents staff performance, records, and reports personnel absences, and performs personnel counseling. Recognizes the need to counsel subordinates and performs counseling in a timely fashion. Explains to the employee clearly what his/her responsibilities are and standards of performance. Offers guidance for improving performance to the employee. Disciplines subordinates, when necessary, in accordance with Human Resources policies and procedures and the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Brings to the employees attention areas of performance needing improvement as soon as they are recognized with a plan and a time frame for correction. Approaches the performance review process constructively and conducts it in accordance with personnel and departmental guidelines and procedures.
- Establishes daily assignment schedules for all employees under his/her supervision and monitors their work. Defines the expected outcome and time of completion of daily duties to the employee. Clearly communicates the objective of the assignment to the employee. Institutes appropriate follow-up with the employee to ensure that the desired outcome is reached. Assigns work in order to accomplish goals in a timely fashion and makes allowances for individual initiative. Solicits feedback from the employee to ensure the assignment is understood. Allocates resources appropriately so that the task can be accomplished. Informs the employees of their assignment immediately upon reporting to work or in advance. Distributes assignments equitably. Conducts patient and client interviews, as well as conducts Shadow Rounds to ascertain quality of service.
To qualify you must have an Associate's Degree plus two years of supervisory experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Good communication skills.
Associate's Degree in Management or a related field
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.