Executive Assistant - 74176
Executive Assistant, Classification I, 100% FTE, Exempt
School of Engineering, Deans Office
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. The schools faculty, students and alumni have established thousands of companies and laid the technological and business foundations for Silicon Valley. Today, the school continues to seek solutions to important global problems and educate leaders who will make the world a better place.
The ideal executive assistant will be very comfortable working in a collaborative, team environment. The EA must be able to manage others and his/her own time to meet the administrative needs of the dean, senior associate deans, and functional directors.
The EA will report to the senior associate dean for administration.
School of Engineering website: https://engineering.stanford.edu/
Provide advanced, diversified administrative support of a substantial and confidential nature to the School of Engineering dean. Anticipate dean's needs and proactively solve problems and/or independently handle issues. Work is performed autonomously, without specific instructions or prescribed procedures, and with delegated authority to exercise discretion and judgment regarding matters of significance on behalf of the dean. Manage an administrative team supporting five deans office groups and two senior associate deans.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Coordinate the dean's activities, including management of a complex calendar, travel arrangements and associated logistics. Independently commit the dean's time to those requesting access to her based on an in-depth understanding of the dean's priorities and needs and her role within the university framework.
- Independently prioritize, plan, coordinate and/or oversee logistics for meetings and conferences with individuals and entities internal and external to the university, including executive and senior level staff, donors, and government officials.
- Serve as the dean's liaison to various internal and external constituencies, including screening correspondence and telephone calls; keep the dean informed of all matters requiring her attention.
- Compose correspondence; develop, review and edit presentations and documentation; independently research and analyze associated issues and/or compile materials needed for presentation and/or decision making purposes.
- Oversee and/or manage multiple projects; anticipate and track critical dates, events and organizational issues for the dean; follow up with appropriate parties to ensure deadlines are met.
- Organize and maintain the workings of the dean's office. Take responsibility for filing systems and ensuring all pertinent information and supporting materials are retained. Direct staff to perform various tasks and assignments.
- Manage 3 administrative staff.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and seven years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated extensive high-level administrative experience supporting executive level individuals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate positive working relationships and gain the trust and respect of all levels of internal and external constituencies.
- Contextual understanding of dean's role within the university framework.
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy and tact.
- Ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Advanced computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, reach/work above shoulders, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, use a telephone, sort/file paperwork, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Rarely twist/bend/stop/squat, kneel/crawl.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May work flexible work schedule including weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable university policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the university's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
About Stanford University
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of Californias Silicon Valley, is one of the worlds leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote health and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
Applicants are required to upload a cover letter and rsum to be considered for this opening.
Stanford University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Thank you for your interest!
Location: School of Engineering
Job Code: 4161