Event Operations Associate
Did you know there’s a planet in our galaxy where it rains glass? Or that light bounces around inside the Sun for 175,000 years before shooting off into space? If you think that’s freaking awesome, and you’re passionate about STEM, community outreach, education, and working in a welcoming environment, this might be the place for you!
The Adler Planetarium is seeking an Event Operations Associate to join our dynamic team located on Chicago's Museum Campus.
Assisting in the execution of public and private events held at the planetarium. Duties include helping with event set up and tear down and providing a presence around the museum on our behalf during events. This individual will also be responsible for:
- Setting up and removing tables and chairs, placing stanchions, and setting up coat check
- Ensuring safety and helping to control access within the Adler building and grounds by monitoring entry points, corridors, galleries and café during events
- Providing outstanding guest service to event attendees and outside patrons of the museum campus as a representative of the museum
- Facilitating coat check and providing a presence at outdoor events around the museum as the seasons dictate
- Providing information to supervisors to file reports for any damage to exhibits, unsafe building conditions, or hazards
Standard position hours will generally range from 15 to 30 hours per week, based on operational needs. Throughout the year, there are five to six events that may require overnight shift work. Availability required includes weekends and holidays. Individuals must be able to arrange transportation to and from the Adler during and after all shifts.
- Availability to work regularly on Friday and Saturday evenings
- Willingness to work as late as 2 AM on some weekend shifts as scheduled
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Exceptional ability to work with the public in a highly professional and welcoming customer service manner
- Ability to follow safety and security protocols and respond quickly and confidently to emergency situations; make initial assessments of situations using tact, diplomacy, and good judgment
- Strong interpersonal skills, a people person; must be comfortable talking with and approaching both adults and children of all backgrounds
- Proven track record of success working in a fast-paced, high stimulation environment
- Ability to carry up to 50 pounds and assist with moving tables and chairs
- Experience and previous success in a hospitality setting, including but not limited to previous positions held in special events, retail, restaurant, and hotel industries.
The Event Operations Associate is part of the Adler Operations Team. The Operations Team is tasked with ensuring the maintenance, safety, and security of the Adler building, staff, and guests. The team is always looking for ways to improve our little piece of the universe through outstanding customer service, communication, and accountability.
The Adler Planetarium is dedicated to complying with its obligations as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Our recruiting and hiring procedures are free of discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, covered veteran status, including disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans or any protected group status as defined by law.