| Nemours is seeking a Certified SPD Tech to join our Central Supply team in Wilmington, DE.|
Schedule: Full-time or part-time hours with holidays and weekends.
As one of the nation's leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 280,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children – even those who may never enter our doors – through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
As the birthplace of the Nemours health care system, the Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware, honors our legacy of delivering exceptional care to the children of the Delaware Valley and beyond. Ranked among the nation's best pediatric hospitals by U.S. News & World Report and honored with the ANCC's Magnet® Designation for excellence in nursing practice, we offer intensive and acute inpatient and outpatient services covering more than 30 pediatric specialties. We recently completed a multi-phase hospital expansion that includes new inpatient rooms, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit and Emergency Department. Additionally, Nemours duPont Pediatrics allows us to reach more children across the region through community-based physician services and collaborative partnerships with health and hospital systems.
The Central Services Technician inspects, cleans, sterilizes and assembles surgical/patient care instruments and/or equipment according to the prescribed procedures and techniques documented in the Central Service Policy and Procedure Manual. He/she is also responsible for filling orders for medical supplies/equipment that are requested by the nursing care units and/or ancillary clinics.
Responsible for participation in departmental and hospital programs for quality assessment and improvement, identifying opportunities to improve services, making recommendations and implementing actions as appropriate and consistent with goals of the Nemours Foundation.
- Operates gas plasma (sterrad) sterilizers, along with the high-vacuum steam and gravity sterilizers, according to manufacturer's specifications.
- Maintains accurate records of the sterilization processes and all of the parameters associated with the sterilization cycles.
- Regulates and adjusts sterilization parameters as to cycle pressure, cycle time, temperature and cycle selection.
- Performs biological and chemical monitoring tests on steam autoclave as often as needed. Also interprets and maintains accurate records of the results.
- Cleans and maintains all sterilizers according to manufacturer's recommendations.
- Prepares the operating room's surgical case carts according to the requisition received from the operating room. Also inspects sterilized packages and trays before transporting to the operating room for damages in accordance with the Central Service Event-Related Shelf Life Policy.
- Assembles and performs quality control checks for all instruments trays used for surgery – tray is always assembled according to the most current count sheet.
- Performs various clerical functions, such as answering telephones, ordering of surgical patient supplies, and keeping accurate records of these activities.
- Is knowledgeable of medical and surgical supplies used throughout the hospital and is able to identify them.
- Responsible for distribution/delivery of medical of medical instrumentation as requested in a reasonable time frame.
- Knowledge of inventory control with relationship to par level refill systems.
- Is knowledgeable and adheres to OSHA regulations relating directly to Central Service.
- Is knowledgeable and adheres to Universal Blood Precautions.
- Maintains work area in a clean, neat and orderly fashion.
- Responsible for participating in departmental and hospital programs for quality assessment and improvement and for working with department management to improve the services provided.
- Performs other related duties as requested by the manager or designee.
- High school graduate or GED diploma.
- Three to five years of progressive experience in a Central Service environment (preferred).
- Certified Sterile Processing Technician.
- Required: Certified Registered Central Service Technician from IAHCSMM or CBSPD.
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Exposure to various chemical disinfectants.
- Work in restricted sterile control and decontamination areas.
- Work around heated autoclaves that exceed 250 degrees F.
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique “Bridge to a Healthy Future” pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.
For more information and Express Your Interest in less than 60 seconds, please visit http://careers.nemours.org/jobs/132351